how to use background node?

Started by jlipstock, July 13, 2019, 11:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlipstock

Hey,

How do you use the background node? I can't plug it into anything. I see in the forums you can use it for a night sky and stars, but I can't seem to activate it...

thanks! :)

cyphyr

Double click on the cross (+) on the right side of the node.
This will open up the nodes internal window where you can see the basic background shader.

To load a night sky

Download a sky from the internet that is in a spherical projection format.

Or make your own.

Load an image map shader and find your night sky image and select spherical projection and plug it into either the input of the Background object (it will be at the bottom of the screen) or better still  the luminosity channel of a default shader that is itself plugged into the background object.
Plenty of other options but that's basically it.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

You don't plug it *into* anything. You plug things into *it*. :D As Richard described, though the easiest way to add a shader (e.g. Image Map with a starfield image loaded into it) to it is open its node settings, go to the Surface Shaders tab, and click the green + button to the right of the "Surface shader" field. You can then add a new node such as an Image Map Shader, or connect to an existing node. What this will do is fill the entire background of the scene (i.e. "behind" the sky) with the image you chose. Remember that it will be affected by the atmosphere and everything else will be in front of it, including clouds, etc. so this will change how the image looks. Also be aware that it is a sphere around the entire scene, so any image you apply to it would ideally be in a spherical format.

- Oshyan

WAS

Edited by a moderator to remove misleading information.

Quote from: jlipstock on July 13, 2019, 11:55:54 AM
Hey,

How do you use the background node? I can't plug it into anything. I see in the forums you can use it for a night sky and stars, but I can't seem to activate it...

thanks! :)

In this thread there is an example (Nightsky share) of what you can do procedural as well: https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,24435.msg248235.html#msg248235