Simple Planet Surfacing with Clouds

Started by nvseal, November 02, 2007, 07:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvseal

After 229 hours, it is finally done!!! I had to take the quality down to make the file small enough to post here; the full image looks even better. I'll try to find a place to link the other version. Here it is.

Edit: Here we go. http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs19/f/2007/307/d/7/Planet_Surfacing_with_Clouds_by_nvseal.jpg

Seth

old_blaggard

Very nice!  The clouds are a little grainy, and the back of the plant looks a little too shadowed (should it really be pure black?) but other than that it looks fantastic.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Will

wonderful job mate, I agree the clouds are a little grainy though, but that could just be the image compression.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

nvseal

Quote from: Will on November 02, 2007, 08:15:50 PM
wonderful job mate, I agree the clouds are a little grainy though, but that could just be the image compression.

Sadly, yes, it is the compression. The full quality jpg is 3 mb though. And old_baggard, I thought the same thing about the utter darkness on the other side of the planet. But then again, I didn't want to render it again o fix it.  :P

sjefen

ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Oshyan

Very nice results indeed. With a camera exposing for the lit side of the planet I think the dark side would indeed be basically totally black. What else woud be illuminating it enough to make a difference?

- Oshyan

Volker Harun

zionner

*drools*

Dam, Thats some nice texturing you've got there!

Cant wait to see the full version.

rcallicotte

Very nice and, in my opinion, all you need is the clouds to be less sparse in select areas to venture toward absolute realism.  I love this so this isn't a major critique.  Keep going.  I think you have quite a knack at this.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Mr_Lamppost

Ooooooh that's nice   ;D

I agree with Oshyan about the dark side; with exposure for the bright day side should we even be seeing the stars?

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Cyber-Angel

In fact without a grate deal of post-processioning is unlikely that you would see any stars at all. If you look at space shoots say taken form the space shuttle of the earth relative to thew black background of space you typically do not see the background stars due the relative brightness of the earth having a higher relative Lux level than the stars in the background, given the exposure of the camera recording the scene (Set to ensure that the earth, shuttle, crew members etc are not blown out) would mean that in photographic terms that stars are vary difficult to discern in day to day situations, to an astronaut the stars are clearly visible but to the camera they are not.

There is film (Taken I be leave with IR film and not visible light and hence black and white) where you can see the background stars but this type of imagery is shoot using special cameras which from my understanding are not used on every STS flight.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel 

Will

Old thread I know but I was looking bad and I saw that there is no noticeable banding in the clouds, care to share how you did that?
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

nvseal

Well, actually there is some banding in some of the cloud layers. You can't see it here because of the altitude and the camera angle. However, you can get rid of the banding by disabling the acceleration cache at the expense of render time.