Activation?

Started by Hubert_Holin, November 04, 2007, 06:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hubert_Holin

Paris (U.E.), le 05/11/2007

Bonjour

I stand poised to purchase a copy of TG2 as it exists now. However, I have not been able to find an information which, for me, is crucial: will TG2 in its final form be activation-protected?

I buy the software I use personally, and have my employers buy the software I use at work. I have nothing against serial-number-protected software, but do not stand activation-protected software, let alone subscription software (in the form of software that stop to work when you stop to pay; I have nothing against, and indeed use at work, software which requires maintenance fees but keep on working, if not improving, when you do not pay said fee). I have stopped using every software which has gone down that road to damnation, and will stop using any which will follow suit. Perhaps the fact that I contribute to free software has something to do with this...

At any rate, in the present case, I would purchase a copy for my personal fun as a hobbyist. There is no way I would countenance an activation scheme.

So, any information on that point would be welcome.

Merci

Hubert Holin

Matt

Once you purchase a license, that license will never expire, and will be valid for versions up to - but not including - 3.0. At present the license works in the form of a key file, and as long as that exists in the Terragen 2 application folder it will continue to function. At present these files can also be transferred from one computer to another, although in future versions we may need to put some extra checks in place. We have no plans to introduce anything that verifies your license online whenever you run Terragen 2, which I presume is what you mean by activation, but we may decide to have some security check when downloading updates. I hope that answers your question.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Hubert_Holin

Somewhere in the E.U., le 05/11/2007

Bonjour

Quote from: Matt on November 04, 2007, 06:50:09 PM
Once you purchase a license, that license will never expire, and will be valid for versions up to - but not including - 3.0. At present the license works in the form of a key file, and as long as that exists in the Terragen 2 application folder it will continue to function.

This is good.

At present these files can also be transferred from one computer to another, although in future versions we may need to put some extra checks in place.

This is what I had in mind, actually. The problem happens when one buys a new computer or simply has to repair an existing one (or change a hard disk...), and the software will no longer work (for as long as one may want) until a new key is received from the editor, provided, of course, that said editor is still around...

If you do intend to adhere to that abhorrent model at some later date, please let us know in advance so that we may stop upgrading.

We have no plans to introduce anything that verifies your license online whenever you run Terragen 2, which I presume is what you mean by activation,

As well, this would not be acceptable: we are *not* always tethered to the internet  ;)

but we may decide to have some security check when downloading updates.

That, however, is entirely reasonable, IMHO.

I hope that answers your question.

Matt

Yes, this does answer my question fully, and I'll go ahead and purchase a copy of TG2 later today.

Merci

Hubert Holin

Matt

Hello,

Quote from: Hubert_Holin on November 05, 2007, 10:52:55 AM
This is what I had in mind, actually. The problem happens when one buys a new computer or simply has to repair an existing one (or change a hard disk...), and the software will no longer work (for as long as one may want) until a new key is received from the editor, provided, of course, that said editor is still around...

If you do intend to adhere to that abhorrent model at some later date, please let us know in advance so that we may stop upgrading.

I agree that this situation can be extremely frustrating, or worse. I will do my best to avoid using this sort of copy protection, but if it ever becomes necessary then I think we would ensure that licenses can be automatically transferred on a temporary basis (while you are waiting for a replacement license), and will certainly inform you of any such changes. We would always aim for "zero downtime" of licenses wherever possible.

Yes, this does answer my question fully, and I'll go ahead and purchase a copy of TG2 later today.

Many thanks.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Hubert_Holin

Paris (U.E.), le 14/11/2007

Bonsoir

Quote from: Matt on November 06, 2007, 07:10:44 PM
I agree that this situation can be extremely frustrating, or worse. I will do my best to avoid using this sort of copy protection, but if it ever becomes necessary then I think we would ensure that licenses can be automatically transferred on a temporary basis (while you are waiting for a replacement license), and will certainly inform you of any such changes. We would always aim for "zero downtime" of licenses wherever possible.

It is good to know you will do your best to avoid this kind of scheme. "If it becomes necessary" will be the time I stop upgrading, as heart-wrenching as it may be. "Temporary" keys are in essence what Adobe, among others, already provide, and are unacceptable beyond mere evaluation of a software.

Still, I have hope, enough at least to have committed myself and bought my copy!

Merci

Hubert Holin