Smart to render on first gen i7?

Started by WAS, August 11, 2019, 01:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I have a old i7 920 I was thinking about setting up exclusively for rendering things while i work on other stuff as a background work station, but I was wondering if it would be safe?

Obviously TG isn't really what I'm worried about, but the stability of a i7 920 under load. I have heard they were quickly replaced (in fabrication) and had many issues. My friend said I'm going to pop it, which kinda instilled a bit of paranoia. LOl

Additionally I wonder if it's worth it in general. It's a pretty poor chip from when I messed around with it my A10 blows it out of the water which is why I never migrated awhile back.

Oshyan

For what it's worth I used Terragen very heavily on a Dell Studio XPS 435T with an i7 920 for many years. It's still with me, still works. I use it occasionally now as a media machine to play movies. :D It got kind of loud (fan ramp-up) when rendering at times, but it never seemed to have heat issues.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on August 11, 2019, 01:58:36 PMFor what it's worth I used Terragen very heavily on a Dell Studio XPS 435T with an i7 920 for many years. It's still with me, still works. I use it occasionally now as a media machine to play movies. :D It got kind of loud (fan ramp-up) when rendering at times, but it never seemed to have heat issues.

- Oshyan

Oh awesome! That's great news! I'm glad someone actually had one and tried it with TG. Thanks for the info, makes me feel more confident. I just can't go out and replace computers so got a little paranoid when my friend just throws out I'm going to kill it after throwing out the idea xD

Oshyan

Yeah, absolutely! Just make sure you've got a good, reliable cooler on there. I wouldn't have thought it, but Dell actually had some decent engineering in there.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on August 11, 2019, 02:19:12 PMYeah, absolutely! Just make sure you've got a good, reliable cooler on there. I wouldn't have thought it, but Dell actually had some decent engineering in there.

- Oshyan

Someone set it up for gaming and stuck a beast of a cool master on it, and it already has one of those huge brick heatsincs on it, and 5 4 inch fans in the case. xD I was excited about it at first for a replacement until I found the i7 920. All I saw was the rectangle CPU at first from the back of the mobo and was excited about multiple cores of awesome... turns out just a first gen entry level xD

By comparison, my A10 has a stock cooler with one of this rinky-dink heat syncs about half a inch thick. I'm surprise it runs as well as it does (though the IGP unit is turned off shedding a lot of demand since I have dedicated GPU). I don't overclock it anymore, I'm worried about the thermal paste.