Sea foam pattern (or something like that)

Started by Hannes, August 14, 2019, 09:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Here is the pattern I used in my "Alien earth" image to separate the land from the water.
It's quite some node jungle, and I don't really understand all the stuff inside, but it's quite cool for sea foam or other bizarre uses. ;)
Just go to the transform shader at the end to adjust the size you need.

Credits go to dandelO, who originally made it for cracks.

Dune

I guess it's the one with 4 rows of voronoi. Too bad some lines don't warp.

Matt

Quote from: Dune on August 14, 2019, 09:47:13 AMI guess it's the one with 4 rows of voronoi. Too bad some lines don't warp.

I have an idea about that. I wonder if you could stretch the Voronoi on Y with a large enough factor (e.g. 100) that it becomes almost 2D. Then I think it would warp more predictably. But I have not tried it on this particular setup so I'm not sure.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Hannes

I just played a bit with it and set the displacement value of the power fractal (there's only one PF) that's responsible for the warping from 40 to 2000.
There are still some straight lines, but it looks a bit more like sea foam.

WAS

Very similar to my Planetoid Faults shader (more for canyons/faults/cracks). I'll share it eventually with revised craters.

Thanks for the share!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on August 14, 2019, 09:07:21 AMHere is the pattern I used in my "Alien earth" image to separate the land from the water.
It's quite some node jungle, and I don't really understand all the stuff inside, but it's quite cool for sea foam or other bizarre uses. ;)
Just go to the transform shader at the end to adjust the size you need.

Credits go to dandelO, who originally made it for cracks.
great re-engineering of this, I have it but it never crossed my mind...well done Hannes!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on August 14, 2019, 12:11:50 PMI just played a bit with it and set the displacement value of the power fractal (there's only one PF) that's responsible for the warping from 40 to 2000.

I good base for this that I wish was possible is distort by normal. Being able to feed a PF any displacement and have it be able to distort by the underlying normal would be awesome. Cause you can very easily create realistic caustics and seaform warp.

Dune

Well, you can of course use the underlying to warp through a warp shader.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on August 16, 2019, 01:06:27 AMWell, you can of course use the underlying to warp through a warp shader.
Yes you can but the effect isn't the same from what I've seen. Ive been warping all my shader by the terrain lately.

DocCharly65

Quote from: Hannes on August 14, 2019, 12:11:50 PMI just played a bit with it and set the displacement value of the power fractal (there's only one PF) that's responsible for the warping from 40 to 2000.
I guess there'll be some animation works soon... right? ;)
Looks cool so far!

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

Ariel DK

I tried to rescale this files myself in the past, with no much success, thanks hannes  ;)
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?