New World Digital Art 'Shop' Closes it's Doors

Started by DannyG, July 31, 2019, 11:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Quote from: masonspappy on August 22, 2019, 11:10:32 PM
Quote from: WAS on August 22, 2019, 09:21:21 PM
Quote from: masonspappy on August 22, 2019, 09:06:22 PM
Quote from: D.A. Bentley on August 21, 2019, 03:55:47 PM.... Turbosquid is good for models, but I have heard they take too big of a cut on sales.
At Turbosquid, the modeler gets a higher percentage if sales of a particular model are restricted to just Turbosquid site (thru SquidGuild Program) . And CG models can fetch better prices if the modeler is willing to go through the certification process. That process is admittedly lengthy and painstaking, there's a huge learning curve, trying to qualify an existing model likely will incur lots of re-work,  and I've never had a model pass certification upon the first review.  But I still think it's worth the extra effort.
 ....that's a laughable process...

Which brings to light another concern with all these store fronts and author control. If you may a digital product, it should always be available. I can't count how many times I've gone back to fetch purchases, or even free products, over the last decade, for them to be removed from stores for no reason. There is no fab cost, limited fab, or any variables that drive these variables in the physical market, so it really just comes down to bad management when stuff disappears. It's annoying. Why I've been trying to learn modeling to do myself. All the macro stuff with blender and stuff give me a headache.
Quote from: WAS on August 22, 2019, 09:21:21 PM
Quote from: masonspappy on August 22, 2019, 09:06:22 PM
Quote from: D.A. Bentley on August 21, 2019, 03:55:47 PM.... Turbosquid is good for models, but I have heard they take too big of a cut on sales.
At Turbosquid, the modeler gets a higher percentage if sales of a particular model are restricted to just Turbosquid site (thru SquidGuild Program) . And CG models can fetch better prices if the modeler is willing to go through the certification process. That process is admittedly lengthy and painstaking, there's a huge learning curve, trying to qualify an existing model likely will incur lots of re-work,  and I've never had a model pass certification upon the first review.  But I still think it's worth the extra effort.

Considering how bad their free, and even paid models are (packaging, quality, bad normals, missing textures), that's a laughable process. I

Just to clarify, if you are referring to the TurboSquid Pro Certification I mentioned earlier, then I will respectfully but vehemently disagree with you, and would suggest following this link to better understand all the requirements necessary for Pro Certification:
  https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-modeling/checkmate/checkmate-specifications/checkmate-pro-specification/

The free models are, unfortunately, a crap shoot. My experience with them has been every bit as bad as yours appear to have been.  And the paid models are of uneven quality  - some good, some not. 

Re: Blender - I'm frantically trying to transfer my Blender 2.79B skills over to the new 2.80 release that came out last week.  There's some new stuff in there, but for the parts of Blender I use most  it seems to me that most of what they did was rearrange everything, which is a huge PITA.  And a nasty headache.

I think that's where the damage is done. I don't care about their "pro" program if they can't even manage the system in general. It's a band-aid scenario (literally just another one of their filter badges) to a shop known for overwhelmingly bad customer service and quality.

Turbosquid is very poorly put together, and I stand by my word about their CheckMate models. I mean, even their promotional images they can't help but feature out-of-the-box Daz faces lightly edited and so far in the uncanny valley they're garbage for most use. Even the animals are in the Uncanny Valley and imo that's just a show of a learning artist, and definitely not a accurate representation of a real-world object.

Making buildings look nice isn't a great representation of good quality. There are architecture generators that can do most the work for you. It's in-fact entry-level 3D design in high-school (architecture). Not your buildings, which are much more organic and beautiful, but a lot of checkmate buildings are just lots of flat planes, basic geometry, and flat textures. If that's the level of modeling experience that's needed to be a modeler than I guess I already am one while having no idea about anything complex, as I did skyscrapers that looks rather nice in high school and college, through generators mostly. Very little user-work needed besides applying aesthetics.

And if Turbosquid has such a bad rep with seasoned artists, and professionals, who write bad reviews or point people elsewhere, who are you ultimately selling too?

Dune

You can tell a mediocre model from a good one best in animals and birds. If you don't intimately know your animals it's pretty hard to make them believable from up close. And yesterday I saw polar bears of about $600 at TS which look pretty good, but still have funny faces. I don't say I can do better, though.