Uploading files

Started by Hannes, September 23, 2019, 05:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

I get this illogical message, that I cannot upload a file of that size, even if I reduce the size to 4792 kB. ??? ??? ???

Hannes

This is the message I got, when I tried it again. Even weirder...

Hannes

OK, tried it again, and even though the indicated color is red I could upload the file. This is a really strange behaviour I think...

Hannes

Actually it DIDN'T upload!!! >:( >:( >:(

Hannes

Reduced the file size to 3.9 MB. Still unable to upload...

Dune

I had that too, a while ago. Not even very big. Maybe just try a new posting, that helped for me.

Hannes

Nope! New posting didn't work either.

Dune

Mmmmm... Maybe changing the title? Just a wild guess :P

Hannes

Oshyan

Hmm, definitely seems buggy, but not much we can do about it as far as I'm aware. It comes down to how the forum system handles attachments. We've configured it to allow up to 5MB, and it should be allowing up to that. In the case of high resolution images, sometimes it's the *resolution* and not the file size that can cause issues. But in the case of a movie it shouldn't be a factor.

The version of the forum system we're using is still in release candidate stage, so there will be bug fixes to come. Development seems a bit slow, but fortunately this is the first time we've seen this issue so it at least does not seem common. I'm sorry it's affected you though.

In general we have file attachment support here to allow people to easily share images and small files like TGDs and occasional other things. We allow movie uploads, but obviously the file size limits significantly restrict that since most videos are larger than 5MB. I'd suggest if possible you just maintain a YouTube or Vimeo account to upload videos to you and link to them here. That will generally be more flexible, and also easier for at least some users since they can just click-and-play rather than having to download a video and watch locally on their system (especially important for e.g. mobile users).

- Oshyan

Hannes

Quote from: Oshyan on September 23, 2019, 04:18:02 PMI'd suggest if possible you just maintain a YouTube or Vimeo account to upload videos to you and link to them here. That will generally be more flexible, and also easier for at least some users since they can just click-and-play rather than having to download a video and watch locally on their system (especially important for e.g. mobile users).
That's of course a solution. But I've also tried to upload the movie compressed as .rar file. Didn't work either. So it's a general problem I assume.

Oshyan

OK, good to know. We'll see if other uploads trigger the issue in the future. Hopefully the Simple Machines Forum team will address it proactively though.

- Oshyan

WAS

Unfortunately movies have a lot of common, and obscure mime types, this may be throwing off the filecheck. Have you tried generic filetypes like (windows) AVI?