Millennium falcon flying

Started by Hannes, September 23, 2019, 05:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Quote from: Hannes on October 02, 2019, 04:30:52 AMThanks again, Ariel! Yes, I assume, it works, if everything in the scene uses the same chan file. Unfortunately in my scene things are different. The falcon has its pivot at 0,0,0 of course (when it's not animated). But I can't offset the pivot of the cockpit cam in 3ds max, so that it's at the same place like the falcon's pivot. And then there's a new Han Solo in my actual scene, which is an object sequence of 600 (!) items with the pivot at 0,0,0 originally as well (but sitting in the cockpit in front of the cockpit cam). So there are three different camera paths, which lead to this wiggling.

All the more reason to render the ship - and everything inside it - at the origin, as if it were on a stage. You only need to animate the background and the lighting to create the illusion that the ship is moving. You could keep the rotation and then the lighting becomes fairly simple.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Hannes

I know and I did that before in my "Who's your daddy?" clip. The thing is, in this case there are beautiful reflections of the landscape in the falcon's glass, and I would really love to keep them. I don't think, I could create these with the "John Dykstra" method.

Ariel DK

Quote from: Hannes on October 02, 2019, 04:30:52 AMThanks again, Ariel! Yes, I assume, it works, if everything in the scene uses the same chan file. Unfortunately in my scene things are different. The falcon has its pivot at 0,0,0 of course (when it's not animated). But I can't offset the pivot of the cockpit cam in 3ds max, so that it's at the same place like the falcon's pivot. And then there's a new Han Solo in my actual scene, which is an object sequence of 600 (!) items with the pivot at 0,0,0 originally as well (but sitting in the cockpit in front of the cockpit cam). So there are three different camera paths, which lead to this wiggling.

Maybe I could offset Han Solo's pivot in 3ds max, so that he might use the same chan file like the falcon's, but altering the falcon's pivot, so that it matches the camera's pivot seems difficult. Apart from that the view from inside the cockpit might look too static in case that would work.

But great ideas! I'll do some more tests to maybe get some controlled random motion.

Well, i'm not 3ds max user so, i can't say much more here... Anyway, i can't wait to see how you achieve it (or how far you go) with this one!
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

Hannes

Here is the mixed low res version of different camera angles. Originally rendered at 400 by 225 px and upscaled to 800 by 450 px. There's a sudden texture change in the view of the cockpit from outside, since I decided to improve the texture a bit, but I didn't want to rerender the scene, since it's only a low res preview.

https://vimeo.com/364759640

DocCharly65

As I already posted to Ulco's twister... the same here:
Wow! Big things happened here since I started my technical and social media break some weeks ago...

again one of your cinema like little miracles, Hannes, Great!

Dune

KlausK

See, the shaking wasn`t so bad after all ;)
Looks very cinematic. And how the great space ship is integrated into the landscape is really amazing.
CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Hannes

A test for an explosion inside the wrecked star destroyer. Basically a card object animated towards the camera with a transparent image sequence and an invisible duplicate of it with a higher luminosity value to illuminate the environment. Have to take a little break, since I'm a little bit fed up with this stuff. Gonna continue later on.

https://vimeo.com/367188185

Dune

DocCharly65

Oshyan

I'd say it works pretty darn well!

- Oshyan

KyL

That looks really good!

Maybe you could try doing the same trick but mapping the texture as the depth modulator on a cloud layer :)
And animated a light Source behind it to get a nice volumetric lighting...

Hannes

That's a cool idea! Probably I won't use a lightsource for the orange lighting, but the invisible card object, since this produces automatically a lighting that corresponds with the image sequence.

KyL

Yes sure, keep the card, it works wonder on surfaces! What I meant was using a point light to light the volume of the cloud and give it some shape.

Hannes

Ah, I see. Gonna try that later. Thanks!!