Numerical Interface vs graphic Interface

Started by ernesto, November 10, 2007, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ernesto

Hello,

I worked with the first Terragen, and today I have decided to try the new TG2.
I leke very much the results, hoever feel somehow lost because of the numerical based interface.
TG9, had more graphic tools, and I really miss them. For instance Sun positioning, was a lot easier for me, since I had never payed attention to numerical data, but just the graphical angle, which is much more intuitive.
The same happens with the camera. I do not know if this is my fault, but I cannot move the camera in the Terrain as I was able with TG9.
Anyway, I know some people prefers numerical and others graphical.
I would like to know if this will change or if this is the way it will be TG in its finished form?
Thanks again, for a great tool!

Ernesto

old_blaggard

From what I understand, the first official release of TG2 later this year won't have any of that, but there could be some interface enhancements in the future that address what you are looking for.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Oshyan

There are certainly some nice elements of the TG 0.9 User Interface that we hope to include in TG2. At this point however the focus is on robust, simple interfaces to the powerful underlying TG2 functionality. We are working on UI improvements but focusing the majority of our efforts on larger areas of enhancement leading up to the final release. I think that niceties such as the visual angle displays will have to wait a bit, but at least the basic controls are all there and it's a simple matter of presentation.

- Oshyan

jo

Hi,

I just thought I'd add that we do plan to add some of those graphical elements. However it will take a bit of work to add graphical display elements into the mechanism we have for displaying the UI for nodes, and it's probably a bit too much upheaval in the code than we can realistically deal with this close to release. As Oshyan says, the basic controls are there and once we have this "final" release out the door we can start attending to those sorts of issues. It would be great to be able to do it before that, and I'm sure it would be a big help to people who aren't at home with all the numbers, but there is only so much time in the day :-).

Regards,

Jo

Cyber-Angel

I would agree with putting in more graphical elements into the GUI as not every one thinks or conceives in numbers (Numerical Thinkers) some people are more visually orientated in both their thinking and learning style because they are right brain (Visual, Creative and Imagination) dominate rather than Left Brain Dominate (Logic, Reasoning, Mathematics) which could be why people find TG2TP frustrating and don't know why but yet they feel more at home with Terragen 0.9.43 due to it been more visual in nature.

A well balanced GUI should be able to cater to both Right and Left Brain Dominate users, this balance is difficult, yet not insurmountable as to be a complete impossibility but these things take time and rightly waiting till after the first commercial release of TG2 is some thing that I would support.

If Planetside where a larger commercial entity I would have suggested the formation of an independent  focus group of some of the more experienced users of the  community to derive for them the positive and negative issues of the old interface as it pertains to the ways and means of this thread, once the relivant sample of users had been sampled the data would be collated and studied and lesions not already learned, learned, with positive outcomes been implemented (Adapted as needed to fit with the internal workings and processes of TG2), but since a focus group is out of the question these forums will have to suffice.

Any way as that old chestnut goes "All good things come to those who wait".

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel       

Sethren

Just an idea that i think might be helpful for us less technical people. After all i am an artist and i never think technically at times so for some graphic elements perhaps like this that would be helpful.