Xeon PHI support?

Started by dmobile1337, October 15, 2019, 06:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmobile1337

I have a low end computer and paying for render farms to process my hobby still images is adding up.  If I were to grab a Xeon PHI and drop it in to my computer would Terragen be able to work with it or are there still NUMA support issues to work through?

WAS

I don't believe Terragen is NUMA aware considering it's 64 thread issue and ultimately suggested to run two copies.

Oshyan

Correct, NUMA is not yet supported. Also as far as I know Phi required additional programming to actually get good performance, NUMA issues aside. Since it is a discontinued product it's not something we'll be supporting. But Phi cards don't look especially cheap anyway. Hopefully you can put that money toward a new machine instead, one of the new Ryzens ought to get you a nice bump in performance without a huge cost.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on October 16, 2019, 03:30:03 PMCorrect, NUMA is not yet supported. Also as far as I know Phi required additional programming to actually get good performance, NUMA issues aside. Since it is a discontinued product it's not something we'll be supporting. But Phi cards don't look especially cheap anyway. Hopefully you can put that money toward a new machine instead, one of the new Ryzens ought to get you a nice bump in performance without a huge cost.

- Oshyan

Knight's Landing is discontinued (7220A, 7240P and 7220P cards). Knights Mill (and Knights Cove) is still R&D and slated for 2021. Phi itself is not discontinued. The issue is with PCIe. Was never a good idea imo. While they compete with GPGPUs a KNL lacks some specific uses.