Match Terragen scene specific point to imported camera view

Started by james adamson, October 27, 2019, 02:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james adamson

Hi all.
How would I go about getting a specific point in a Terragen scene to sit within an imported cameras' view? 
Thanks in advance.
James.

Oshyan

Are you trying to match cameras between your source app (Modo?) and Terragen, or move something that's already in Terragen to be within the view of a camera you have already imported?

- Oshyan

Oshyan

Typically you would use a Transform Input Shader. The output of the node(s) that you want to move go into the input of the Transform Input, then enable Translate in that node's settings. Then you just need to work out how many meters in X and Z your target point (within camera view) is from the current location of the feature in question. There's a line measuring tool which may help (ruler icon on the 3D preview toolbar). Enter X and Y distances into the Transform fields that match the distance you need to move the feature along each axis.

Alternatively you can convert the feature to a heightfield and you can full positioning capability with the manipulation handles in the 3D preview. You'd start by adding a Heightfield Generate, positioning it at the location of your desired feauture, and feeding the output of your terrain node(s) into the Shader input. You may need to adjust the size of it in meters to cover the area you need, you'll see it change in the 3D preview if you do. Then click Generate, right-click the Heightfield node, Save As, save it as a TER or EXR, then you can load it with a Heightfield Load and position it wherever you like. You can use right-click in the 3D Preview to copy coordinates for easier repositioning of the heightfield if desired (copy there and then paste into the heightfield's position parameters).

- Oshyan

Oshyan

Quote from: James Adamson on December 13, 2019, 06:49:50 AMI am guessing this method would be the more flexible of the two? My plan was for each scene I build was to export the terrain as an obj for further manipulation
either in Modo or Nuke. If I use the heightfield method I am guessing I could use this to create a displacement that would match Terragen's and forego the need to export the obj?
Yes, that's correct. Just keep in mind that this limits you to planar-only features, i.e. no overhangs, etc. And near-vertical surfaces will have poorer quality.

- Oshyan