Help!

Started by mhaze, October 28, 2019, 04:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

It's been some time... The rocks under the water seem to be lacking in detail, they seem very triangulated.
Mix_V5_0015.jpg

Oshyan

Creative scene (though I don't know if bears hunt rabbits? 🤔). To improve underwater detail you need to increase Ray Detail Multiplier (RDM) in Subdiv Settings.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on October 28, 2019, 05:18:41 PMCreative scene (though I don't know if bears hunt rabbits? 🤔). To improve underwater detail you need to increase Ray Detail Multiplier (RDM) in Subdiv Settings.

- Oshyan

Black bears dig up the invasive cottontail dens here. I don't know if you'd call that' real hunting, more just following a strong smell and digging it out. More like scavenging. We've had the lepus plague for 5 years here, and last two years have been very mild since two mother black bears and a cougar moved into the area.

This is a cool scene, and as Oshyan stated, increasing RDM will set you up nicely.

Dune

Sometimes you also need to increase ray detail region padding (lower/front triangulation).

mhaze

Cheers, thank you for your comments and advice - doing some experiments on the water now.

DocCharly65

A little masterpiece :)

bobbystahr

Echo Doc...big LIKE
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

mhaze

Oshyan

Quote from: Dune on October 29, 2019, 03:07:55 AMSometimes you also need to increase ray detail region padding (lower/front triangulation).
As far as I know you shouldn't need to increase ray detail region padding for on-screen subsurface detail. It should only affect reflections of off-screen geometry and shadows cast by off-screen geometry.

- Oshyan

Dune

I had the idea that in my latest render (monks on water) a small area of the subsurface below was angular, and after increasing RDRP it wasn't. And I also remember something like this from the past. I can imagine that due to the refraction index some areas fall outside the calculated frustrum (I think that's the term).
But I'll test it once again.

Dune

See here.

Matt

Yes, sometimes you need to add a small amount of ray detail region padding for refraction, because the water refracts terrain that would be off-screen if there was no refraction.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

Huh, interesting! I understand how that might happen now (and it makes even more sense for reflections). Thanks for illustrating Ulco.

- Oshyan