Emily

Started by Hannes, November 03, 2019, 04:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

I also did some tests with this great model, but I used my own eye model and textures. Unfortunately due to the max ray depth of 5 there are several intersecting parts on the eyes that have glass shaders leaving dark edges, which looks a bit weird. I did some tests using glass shaders only on the outer part of the eyeball and the eye wetness, and the dark edges were gone. So I desperately wait for the increased max ray depth in a future release:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,27241.msg270776.html#msg270776

I edited the existing maps and created my own reflection map. I also created distribution maps for the peach fuzz and the hair (which is a model I created in 3ds Max using the hair and fur modifier - afro was the easiest to create ;) ).
The fluffy shirt uses a very dense population of small white grass clumps.

The coloured part of the eyeballs use subsurface scattering as well.

Dune

That's pretty awesome, and smart idea about the fluffy shirt. I don't see anything amiss in the eyes, they're great. I did notice the small dots across the skin, what are they caused by? Too shiny bumps?

zaxxon

You are making great progress with new SSS feature, this is a really fine image. The set-up sounds a bit complex at this point, but the results are promising.

KyL

Nice! Good edit of the eyes indeed.

That's cool to see you move this forward. Great idea for the shirt, you could try the same thing but with some very short hairs instead. I would take you afro hair setup and make a small clump of that to replace the grass strand :)

Do you mind sharing the peach fuzz file if it's not too heavy?

bobbystahr

All I have to say is WOW!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Thanks guys!!
Ulco, these are tiny little hair objects to create some peach fuzz.

And KyL, here they are. I used a white shader with white translucency and a reflectivity of 0.3, IOR 1.5, and a roughness of 0.5.
I used a scale of minimum 0.000225, and maximum 0.0007 for my image. And of course a distribution mask.

I'm quite happy with the shirt, but of course I'll try other things.

j meyer

Very nice and promising result.
Too bad that there still is this dark line where the eye meets the lower
lid, but I'm sure you'll find a cure for that when the ray depth problem
has been solved.
Nice to see your progress,
keep experimenting.

Dune

Ah, that's peach fuzz!

Oshyan

I love the shirt, hah! Clever. The peach fuzz is a bit much, but cool that you're trying to simulate that. Otherwise the shading looks quite good overall. Nice progress, and looking forward to seeing what you get when you can increase Ray Depth. 

- Oshyan

DocCharly65

Wow - this is a big step forward in rendering characters!
Cool idea with the shirt! :)

Hannes

Thanks guys! Doing some tests at the moment with indirect lighting to get rid of the nasty terminator.

Hannes

A new attempt with a different lighting. I only used two luminescent planes (you can see their reflections in the pupils) to illuminate the scene, which makes the terminator nicely soft.
The peach fuzz is still there, and I didn't change anything on that, but with this lighting it's more subtle.
This is rendered with the latest alpha version, which has the ability to increase the max ray depth. Thus it's possible to render more than five intersecting surfaces with a glass shader assigned to without getting parts rendered black. I used a max ray depth of ten, and it had no noticeable impact on rendertimes. I noticed some unnatural lit parts inside the nostrils. I'll check that out. Maybe the volume density of the glass shader is not high enough?

...and I like the shirt or sweater or whatever this is...

Dune

Great! If you put some black lines on those lighting planes, you'll get a window-like reflection. I like the shirt too, you could even knit in some kind of texture :P

I still have problems with those peach fuzz tiny dots; I think they don't add, but take away realism. Otherwise a great update.

How are your decay, density and color settings, btw? In my latest I had density set at 5, color at 2.

DocCharly65

Great! The lighting is much better!

Hannes

Thanks guys!!!

"...color at 2..."     Don't tell Matt, Ulco!! ;D ;D ;D

Here are my settings: