Spring Snow - Revisited

Started by RogueNZ, November 03, 2019, 06:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogueNZ

What was intended to be a very simple re-render of an old scene quickly spiraled out of control and ended up taking the best part of two weeks to finish. I had a number of ideas around building more realistic cumulus clouds, and while I got some good results, I decided the scene suited something more relaxed. I'll share some of the variants later.

Old thread here: https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,18852.15.html

I thought I had found the most up to date file when I started out, but it wasn't until I was nearly finished that I looked back on the old thread and realized it wasn't. However I quite like this more distant perspective so decided not to change.

Several years of photographic experience has really helped my post work (if you want to see my photography check out my website, shameless plug).

Dune

Awesome cloud formations on your photo's, wonderful photo's anyway. Great stuff!

And of course, a great render update too!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on November 03, 2019, 06:23:59 AMAwesome cloud formations on your photo's, wonderful photo's anyway. Great stuff!

And of course, a great render update too!
Echo...this is amazingly photo real to these old eyes....thanks for sharing it here. Awesome photo gallery as well.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

j meyer

Totally agree with Ulco and Bobby, really nice render and great photos,
especially the storm and lightning stuff.

Oshyan

YOW. That is stunning Brendan! The look of the snow on the mountains is superb, and the subtlety and realism in the clouds are likewise excellent. I was at Mt. Rainier for sunrise once and this reminded me of that morning (see attached). I find the amount of purple in the image overall to be a *little* too much (and I don't just mean in comparison to my Mt. Rainier shots), but then I haven't seen all *that* many sunrises. ;) Anyway, incredible work overall.

- Oshyan

Hannes

Beautiful and incredibly realistic!

DocCharly65

Great, beautiful and realistic render!
And some really impressive photos on your website!

RogueNZ

Quote from: Oshyan on November 03, 2019, 01:51:28 PMYOW. That is stunning Brendan! The look of the snow on the mountains is superb, and the subtlety and realism in the clouds are likewise excellent. I was at Mt. Rainier for sunrise once and this reminded me of that morning (see attached). I find the amount of purple in the image overall to be a *little* too much (and I don't just mean in comparison to my Mt. Rainier shots), but then I haven't seen all *that* many sunrises. ;) Anyway, incredible work overall.

- Oshyan
Cheers, can definitely see what you mean about the colour when compared to your photographs. I think taking more regular breaks while editing can help 'reset' my mind, I probably got a bit of tunnel vision here!

WAS

The smooth areas look great, and the dusting is a nice touch but I do like the more isolated snow in your original images showing a more glacially locked mountain top. Those small patches of snow would melt fast in the sun.

Speaking of this, it'd be so amazing if we were able to use lighting as a mask on terrain to "Melt" areas. I've always thought about how to do this.