through the surface

Started by gasbutan, November 18, 2019, 04:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasbutan

Quote from: WAS on November 25, 2019, 11:43:53 AM
Quote from: undefinedThank you. The thing with opacity is that it's either black or white, no greys. I used a 2D cloud layer.

It can have half tones like I argued with Matt having the same issue and my PF caustics and image maps, and fire. It's just very sensitive. Values need to be well above 0.5 where TG makes things straight transparent, so you gotta visualize this higher contrast in your image editor of PFs .

I also think half tones are possible, if you look at my render above...

Dune

Yes, you're right, and I saw that as well. I had the impression it was still just black until 0.5 and white above (it used to be like that). Have to test that better. Or it's just that it's combined with water/glass that it does have greytones.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on November 25, 2019, 12:11:57 PMYes, you're right, and I saw that as well. I had the impression it was still just black until 0.5 and white above (it used to be like that). Have to test that better. Or it's just that it's combined with water/glass that it does have greytones.

My fire was just PF on a card, and image map caustics were just a card under the water plane.

Dune

Wasn't the fire taken through a glass shader? Just opacity by default shader?

WAS

Anyone having issues with cloud layers creating hard black shadows when it's just a soft haze?

I'm not sure what to do about it. There is a card for the water surface, and a card for the soft water shadow caustic effect form the water shaders displacement. The Water Surface card is using a merge shader and a distance shader to mix two different water surfaces, one transparent, and one opaque on dark colour.

Turned up the cloud density so that the shadow is as prominent as possible.

WAS

Quote from: WAS on December 02, 2019, 02:05:36 AMAnyone having issues with cloud layers creating hard black shadows when it's just a soft haze?

I'm not sure what to do about it. There is a card for the water surface, and a card for the soft water shadow caustic effect form the water shaders displacement. The Water Surface card is using a merge shader and a distance shader to mix two different water surfaces, one transparent, and one opaque on dark colour.

Turned up the cloud density so that the shadow is as prominent as possible.

This seems to be caused by the invisible card shadows interacting with the secondary of the cloud layer (shadows?). I'm not sure how to overcome this without using a cloud layer. I find it interesting because the card invisible, and not visible to other rays.