Bryce 7 Pro Sale

Started by WAS, December 10, 2019, 12:18:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I just wanted to let people know, Bryce 7 Pro is on sale for about 10 bucks. It's been cheap for some time now, but this is the cheapest I've seen it drop.

https://www.daz3d.com/bryce/bryce-7-pro

Bryce will always have a soft spot in my heart form the 90s and early 2000s. If you want to see what it was like, Bryce still operates the same as it did in the 90s besides multi-CPU and hyperthreading and DAZ-specific features.

N-drju

Buying Bryce now, kind of, defeats the purpose of having an elaborate, advanced tool like Terragen in which you can create 10x more complex and realistic environments. Somehow, I can't shake the feeling that Bryce was made solely for content creators who wanted to produce simple, but aesthetically appealing thumbnails for their products. But I understand the sentimental value. ;)

DAZ Store should rather consider reducing prices for human models and clothing items instead of selling them for 120 bucks apiece... >:(
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on December 10, 2019, 04:43:13 pmBuying Bryce now, kind of, defeats the purpose of having an elaborate, advanced tool like Terragen in which you can create 10x more complex and realistic environments. Somehow, I can't shake the feeling that Bryce was made solely for content creators who wanted to produce simple, but aesthetically appealing thumbnails for their products. But I understand the sentimental value. ;)

DAZ Store should rather consider reducing prices for human models and clothing items instead of selling them for 120 bucks apiece... >:(

Bryce was never intended for the Terragen oriented user. In fact, if you think of it in the scope of when Bryce came out, what it's for, etc, Terragen users would have been in the realm of SGI - and Bryce in the realm of lower-tier entry level users on home PCs. Before Maya and other tool sets were ever considered being ported to Windows or Mac, there was Bryce. Bryce is still very powerful, and even in the past, and today, has features Terragen doesn't. Some of them pretty basic that have been around for 25+ years in all software sets.

It has been used extensively in Television, some advertising, and yeah probably "thumbnails" somewhere. But judging Bryce on the millions (probably) of novice images might be bias. It's capable of some really cool stuff.

René

Bryce was very good at the time of first release, and so much more than just a landscape generator. At the time, I worked as an illustrator for a newspaper and used it on a daily basis. Not only for making landscapes, but mainly for blocking out illustrations, which went very fast, and for texturing and rendering. By today's standard it was of course quite limited, although, as Was says, it had some great features, such as volumetric textures. I used Bryce together with FormZ (for modelling), Photoshop and Poser. Even though rendering at that time was slow I could create anything I wanted; if you do something very often you will find a workaround for everything. Sometimes I yearn back to those days, so I definitely have a soft spot for Bryce as well. :)

A few examples of what you could do with Bryce.

A. The egg is a terrain, the yolk a sphere.
B. The graphical hatchings are Bryce textures.
C. Texturing ice cube done in Bryce.
D. The moon is a terrain, painted in Photoshop and displaced in Bryce.

Dune



N-drju

No shit... :o This, is possible with Bryce?

I guess I've been gravely mislead...

Probably because of the DAZ store, which features countless thumbnails, most of them made in Bryce. This must be why I adopted an impression of this being an add-on rather than a CG program in its own rights...

I cheerfully withdraw previous post. This is really impressive.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: René on December 12, 2019, 04:38:56 amBryce was very good at the time of first release, and so much more than just a landscape generator. At the time, I worked as an illustrator for a newspaper and used it on a daily basis. Not only for making landscapes, but mainly for blocking out illustrations, which went very fast, and for texturing and rendering. By today's standard it was of course quite limited, although, as Was says, it had some great features, such as volumetric textures. I used Bryce together with FormZ (for modelling), Photoshop and Poser. Even though rendering at that time was slow I could create anything I wanted; if you do something very often you will find a workaround for everything. Sometimes I yearn back to those days, so I definitely have a soft spot for Bryce as well. :)

A few examples of what you could do with Bryce.

A. The egg is a terrain, the yolk a sphere.
B. The graphical hatchings are Bryce textures.
C. Texturing ice cube done in Bryce.
D. The moon is a terrain, painted in Photoshop and displaced in Bryce.

Wow great examples René! Really good work. Imaginative too.

sboerner

Just goes to show that a great artist is never limited by his (or her) tools. Impressive work, René. More so in that these were done on deadline.

René

Thank you. Yes, the deadlines for newspapers are tight, but for me that's a good thing because it prevents me from going on and on and not finishing anything. :P

C-ramgfx

Un fall leaves.jpg

St Mary's Lake.jpg

Woods deep.jpg

In good hands, Bryce can produce nice renders like Terragen or Vue.

Some of my renders attached here.

René

Well done, especially since this is Bryce.

Hannes

Wow, indeed wonderful images!!

WAS

Quote from: C-ramgfx on December 29, 2019, 06:05:03 amUn fall leaves.jpg

St Mary's Lake.jpg

Woods deep.jpg

In good hands, Bryce can produce nice renders like Terragen or Vue.

Some of my renders attached here.

Wow, those are great renders! Love the tranquility in the first and last one.

Stormlord

One of my first Bryce pictures.
It's from 2007

Bryce - Stratosphere Sea 2007.jpg

STORMLORD