Linux docs

Started by WAS, December 26, 2019, 10:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Just wanted to mention, the docs don't mention output after you begin mentioning animations (for example commands), but output directory must be set to run the render (not a filename), which is not part of the commands, so they all error out.

Actually unsure how naming conventions works. Setting a output folder and TG uses the output folder as a filename. So I gave it a base filename to start with.

Oh I see you use OX. However, it's not saving anything when doing OX.

Extra output filename (-ox) = /home/was/Terragen/out/bga.tiff
Frame list (-f) = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Cannot create the output file path.

Extra output filename (-ox) = /home/was/Terragen/out/bga.%04d.tiff
Frame list (-f) = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Above directory is writeable, and single frames save just fine.

Also notice it mentioned the project path from Windows, and tries to add frame numbers? Confusing. This is Linux.

The path is: C:\Users\WAS\Documents\Background_Galaxy_Anim.%04d.tif
Destroying trPrivateGlobals

It's very odd that the node would allow you to render with -o when you have frames specified, and just continually overwrite the same file.

Update: Did figure out that the frame/image number (%04d) can be assigned to the -o output, which solves my issue. Though curious why alphas etc won't export.

Matt

Hi WAS,

Now that you've solved some of the issues and made edits to the post, I'm a bit confused about which questions are still active. Can you summarize the remaining problem(s) you need help with?
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on December 27, 2019, 07:19:25 AMHi WAS,

Now that you've solved some of the issues and made edits to the post, I'm a bit confused about which questions are still active. Can you summarize the remaining problem(s) you need help with?

Only thing I'm super confused about is OX feature is saying it can't save in the output dir for some reason (where everything outputs), and I'm puzzled why doing a frame render it would let you overwrite the same file over and over. It is cool we can just use unix codes for stuff like 0s and numerics but perhaps that sort of functionality should be automatic. Do people really need to be using special numeric entries when most sequencers allow you to fine tune for filenames such as preceeding 0s? Also in Linux unless a flag is used to overwrite, you shouldn't overwrite anything and prompt.

Also puzzled why it's trying to use a Windows path from my PC on Linux. What's that about?

Matt

Quote from: WAS on December 27, 2019, 10:26:34 AMOnly thing I'm super confused about is OX feature is saying it can't save in the output dir for some reason (where everything outputs)... Also puzzled why it's trying to use a Windows path from my PC on Linux. What's that about?

Can you send me the full log, and the command line?

Default behaviour comes from the TGD file, including the file paths. The Windows path must be coming from your TGD file. If it's the main image, -o will override this. If it's the "extra output images" (alpha and/or render elements), then -ox should override it. If your TGD has extra output images enabled, you need to specify both -o and -ox paths on the command line if you don't want it to use paths in the TGD file.

Quoteand I'm puzzled why doing a frame render it would let you overwrite the same file over and over

The command line renderer is mainly intended to be used in an automated/scripted environment and it doesn't have an interactive mode to handle exceptions, so it writes to any filename you tell it to, even if that means overwriting something from a previous run.

QuoteIt is cool we can just use unix codes for stuff like 0s and numerics but perhaps that sort of functionality should be automatic. Do people really need to be using special numeric entries when most sequencers allow you to fine tune for filenames such as preceeding 0s?

Perhaps the syntax could be nicer. What do you mean by automatic?

WAS

Quote from: Matt on December 30, 2019, 04:24:23 PMCan you send me the full log, and the command line?
Yeah when the machine is clear I can get one.

Edit: Does the -OX feature require imagetype?

Quote from: Matt on December 30, 2019, 04:24:23 PMDefault behaviour comes from the TGD file, including the file paths. The Windows path must be coming from your TGD file. If it's the main image, -o will override this. If it's the "extra output images" (alpha and/or render elements), then -ox should override it. If your TGD has extra output images enabled, you need to specify both -o and -ox paths on the command line if you don't want it to use paths in the TGD file.

That makes sense. It was showing the correct paths before this with the -OX error, and was only showing (that I recall) with the -OX feature, but at the very end after the main error about not  being able to save. So may be nothing.

Quote from: Matt on December 30, 2019, 04:24:23 PM
Quote from: undefinedIt is cool we can just use unix codes for stuff like 0s and numerics but perhaps that sort of functionality should be automatic. Do people really need to be using special numeric entries when most sequencers allow you to fine tune for filenames such as preceeding 0s?

Perhaps the syntax could be nicer. What do you mean by automatic?

I feel you could just have a -d flag and number of preceeding 0s, and the renderer script could just automatically append. It is nice being able to manually setup the file names and stuff but could also have a default raw behavior to handle frames.

Edit: Same for image types. They could just be apprended by default if not defined.

Matt

Quote from: WAS on December 30, 2019, 06:27:15 PMEdit: Does the -OX feature require imagetype?

No, it doesn't require it. It's included in the default filename to avoid clashes in case you output more than one render element, but even then it isn't necessary if "create subfolders" is enabled (which can also be overridden from the command line).

By the way, other variables can be used in filenames since 4.4.18, and they work with -o and -ox arguments too.

https://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Render_Node_(TG4)#Sequence.2FOutput_Tab

WAS

Hmm. Well that puts an end to the thought I had. I'm not sure why it's doing it then. The only thing that differed from the commands was "X" in -OX. Once I can login to my server (i forgot to set 20 threads instead of 24 again, so CPU is too busy for SSH) I'll get a full console log.

WAS

By the way though, the path The path is: C:\Users\WAS\Documents\Background_Galaxy_Anim.%04d.tif Is not where that file is stored, and no TG files are ever stored there. So it's very confusing. Everything, and it, is stored in D:\Terragen\Projects\Atmosphere. It created that path itself it seems.

Additionally, the filename set was bga-%04d.tif and it seemed to have just ignored that and done the project filename.

Matt

I'm sure there will be a good reason once we see the logs and the command line.

WAS

Quote from: WAS on December 30, 2019, 08:30:01 PMBy the way though, the path
The path is: C:\Users\WAS\Documents\Background_Galaxy_Anim.%04d.tif Is not where that file is stored, and no TG files are ever stored there. So it's very confusing. Everything, and it, is stored in D:\Terragen\Projects\Atmosphere. It created that path itself it seems.

Additionally, the filename set was bga-%04d.tif and it seemed to have just ignored that and done the project filename.

And this?

WAS

Code (Console) Select
<<<### APP RUN STARTED ###>>>
Terragen 4 build 4.4.46.frontier
Licensed to Jordan Thompson

Receiving maintenance until 2020-08-13
Maintenance days remaining: 225

No EDD key

License key file: Set by an administrator

Found license for Professional Edition
Found 24 processor cores
Using 24 processor cores
Loading plugins in: /home/was/Terragen/TG44461/
No files matching *.tgp in this directory
Loaded 0 modules in this directory
No files matching *.cpp in this directory
Loading plugins in: /home/was/Terragen/TG44461/plugins/
Loaded 3 modules in this directory
Loading plugins in: /home/was/Terragen/TG44461/../../tgdplugins/
Loading plugins in: /home/was/Terragen/TG44461/../../tgdplugins/linux_intel/
Loaded a total of 3 plugin modules
ReadXML: Attempting to read file: "/home/was/Terragen/Projects/Background_Galaxy.tgd"
ReadXML: done
Content path for children of "_1" set to "/home/was/Terragen/Projects/"
Starting render...
Extra output filename (-ox) = /home/was/Terragen/out/Background_Animation.tif
No -f specified, so rendering the project's current frame

The path is: C:\Users\WAS\Documents\Background_Galaxy.%04d.tif

Code (Console) Select
./terragen -p /home/was/Terragen/Projects/Background_Galaxy.tgd -exit -r -ox /home/was/Terragen/out/
<<<### APP RUN STARTED ###>>>
Terragen 4 build 4.4.46.frontier
Licensed to Jordan Thompson

Receiving maintenance until 2020-08-13
Maintenance days remaining: 225

No EDD key

License key file: Set by an administrator

Found license for Professional Edition
Found 24 processor cores
Using 24 processor cores
Loaded 3 modules in this directory
Loaded a total of 3 plugin modules
ReadXML: Attempting to read file: "/home/was/Terragen/Projects/Background_Galaxy.tgd"
ReadXML: done
Content path for children of "_1" set to "/home/was/Terragen/Projects/"
Starting render...
Extra output filename (-ox) = /home/was/Terragen/out/
No -f specified, so rendering the project's current frame

The path is: C:\Users\WAS\Documents\Background_Galaxy.%04d.tif
Destroying trPrivateGlobals

Did a few tests always the same. Still not sure how seeing the whole console would help considering it's a an error at the end.

Matt

It appears that you haven't used the -o switch to set the output file path, so it uses the file path that was set in the TGD (C:\Users\WAS\Documents\Background_Galaxy.%04d.tif). Since this isn't a valid path on your Linux machine, it prints the error "Cannot create the output file path" followed by the path that produced the error.

-o overrides the path and filename for the main image.
-ox overrides the path and filename for Extra Output Images (Render Elements).

If your project outputs both types of images, you need to specify both on the command line (unless you want it to use the values from the TGD file).

-o and -ox should be followed by the path to the file including the filename, not just the folder.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on January 02, 2020, 11:48:20 AMIt appears that you haven't used the -o switch to set the output file path, so it uses the file path that was set in the TGD (C:\Users\WAS\Documents\Background_Galaxy.%04d.tif). Since this isn't a valid path on your Linux machine, it prints the error "Cannot create the output file path" followed by the path that produced the error.

-o overrides the path and filename for the main image.
-ox overrides the path and filename for Extra Output Images (Render Elements).

If your project outputs both types of images, you need to specify both on the command line (unless you want it to use the values from the TGD file).

-o and -ox should be followed by the path to the file including the filename, not just the folder.

Really now? Documentation doesn't indicate this. It gives you single case examples. -ox or -o, and explains them as the same thing minus image type definition for different filetypes. Which gives the impression you use one or the other, and really could be the same command with switches based on detection of image types for extra output.

Also why is this path being set in the TGD when it's not even its location, nothing is ever saved there. Raw documents root? Lol. TG is fabricating this path.

If it's going to be coming up with paths it should be where the TGD is actually saved. Additionally being Linux it should be falling back on Linux tmp or any path specified (like -o).

Linux docs need to show full examples, not things looking like commands but broken up and not going to work....and no explanation to the effect

Matt

Here's an example of a complete command line that does the following:

- renders frame 42
- overrides the filename for the main output to /home/was/Terragen/out/Background_Animation.%04d.tif
- overrides the filename for the extra output images to /home/was/Terragen/out/Background_Animation.IMAGETYPE.%04d.tif

./terragen -p /home/was/Terragen/Projects/Background_Galaxy.tgd -exit -r -f 42 -o /home/was/Terragen/out/Background_Animation.%04d.tif -ox /home/was/Terragen/out/Background_Animation.IMAGETYPE.%04d.tif

Other possibilities for these switches are documented here: https://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Command_Line_Reference

Matt

-o and -ox are overrides. When not present in the command line, output filenames are derived from the render node in the project file:

Additional documentation is in the Wiki here: https://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Render_Node_(TG4)#Sequence.2FOutput_Tab

This might be a useful excerpt:

Quote from: undefinedSettings

Output image filename: This is the filename of the main image that is saved to disk when you use "Render All To Disk", "Render Sequence" or render from a command line. This may be overridden on the command line (using the -o command), but if it isn't overridden then Terragen will use this filename. If you are using a render farm or render manager it might override this filename.

Extra output images: The checkbox enables the output of additional Render Elements, or, if no render elements are rendered it outputs an alpha image. This applies when using "Render All To Disk", "Render Sequence" or rendering from a command line. This may be overridden on the command line (using the -ox command), but if it isn't overridden then Terragen will use this filename. If you are using a render farm or render manager it might override this filename. The word 'IMAGETYPE' (not including quotes) needs to be included somewhere in the filename if you want each render element to have a distinct filename. 'IMAGETYPE' is replaced by a word that represents the name of the render element. A list of these element names can be found here.

According to the Linux Command Line docs (https://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Linux_Command_Line_Reference):

Quote from: undefined-o <filename>

Set the renderer's output image filename to <filename> before rendering. C-style format strings can be used to automatically insert the frame number, eg. '~/frames/image.%04d.IMAGETYPE.exr' Supported image extensions are .bmp, .rgb, .sgi, .exr, .tif, .tiff

-ox <filename>

Set the renderer's "extra output images" filename to <filename> before rendering. Extra output images should contain the string "IMAGETYPE" (not including quotes). When a render element is written, "IMAGETYPE" is automatically replaced by the name of the element. By default the only element is "tgAlpha", but additional elements can be enabled using a Render Layer.

For example:

'~/frames/image.0023.IMAGETYPE.exr'

may result in:

'~/frames/image.0023.tgAlpha.exr'
'~/frames/image.0023.tgSurfRgb.exr'
'~/frames/image.0023.tgSurfAlpha.exr'
etc.

or, if "create subfolders" option is enabled (in project or command line), may result in:

'~/frames/tgAlpha/image.0023.tgAlpha.exr'
'~/frames/tgSurfRgb/image.0023.tgSurfRgb.exr'
'~/frames/tgSurfAlpha/image.0023.tgSurfAlpha.exr'
etc.

C-style format strings can be used to automatically insert the frame number. Example:

'~/frames/image.%04d.IMAGETYPE.exr'

Supported image extensions are .bmp, .rgb, .sgi, .exr, .tif, .tiff