Feature Request: Vertical Simple Shapes

Started by Mohawk20, January 03, 2020, 11:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

Sometimes a mask with a gradient might be needed.
For example in my waterfall scene (see image below), I curved the top to simulate realistic physics.
I wanted to use a vertical simple shape for best control over the curve, but couldn't. So i had to use a painted shader, which took a lot of work to tweak.

Is there a chance all axis-rotation for simple shapes could be implemented?
Howgh!

WAS

Quote from: Mohawk20 on January 03, 2020, 11:50:50 AMSometimes a mask with a gradient might be needed.
For example in my waterfall scene (see image below), I curved the top to simulate realistic physics.
I wanted to use a vertical simple shape for best control over the curve, but couldn't. So i had to use a painted shader, which took a lot of work to tweak.

Is there a chance all axis-rotation for simple shapes could be implemented?

If I'm not mistaken, you can rotate a Simple Shape. I believe this is how I did 2d flames.

Tangled-Universe

I don't know how you pulled this off with the painted shader, hats of for that anyway, I never use that shader.

If the waterfall is a ribbon shaped plane object which you displaced to create the curve then I don't really understand the problem I'm afraid.
In that case I would position the plane object at the top of the waterfall and have it extend horizontally over the edge.
Then displace that plane down with a simple shape shader's color as input for a (vector) displacement shader.
To make the falloff non-linear you would need to position a colour adjust or bias scalar in between the simple shape and displacement shader.
That should give you enough control for the curvature.

WAS

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 03, 2020, 02:22:58 PMI don't know how you pulled this off with the painted shader, hats of for that anyway, I never use that shader.

Must have been in 3D space. It's pretty handy actually. Just a little annoying to use... especially if you hit the edges while it's rendering preview, and paints/erases the whole viewport. It honestly should pause when you start painting and wait you to stop painting. I pause manually when RTP is finished. Then paint.

Dune

mhaze

Mohawk20

So if I place a simple shape at the top of the waterfall (which is a plane), I should be able to rotate it on the z-axis and set the displacement in such a way that the top of the plane curves backwards toward the cliff?
Because in the simple shape settings itself you can only rotate the shape on the y-axis, and a transform shader doesn't seem to do anything either.
Howgh!

WAS

Quote from: Mohawk20 on January 05, 2020, 03:48:29 PMSo if I place a simple shape at the top of the waterfall (which is a plane), I should be able to rotate it on the z-axis and set the displacement in such a way that the top of the plane curves backwards toward the cliff?
Because in the simple shape settings itself you can only rotate the shape on the y-axis, and a transform shader doesn't seem to do anything either.

I think you need world space checked in the transform.

Dune

Mohawk20

QuoteQuote from: Dune 1/6/2020, 7:59:05 AM

Yes, see example.
Well, that doesn't give the results I would like.

I want the top of of a plane curving backwards.

I changed the setup in your file to match my setup, with unsatisfying results:
Howgh!

Dune

Then you probably need to apply a soft SSS mask to the top and redirect or vdisp the plane. Or a distribution shader with min altitude set.

Mohawk20

Quote from: Dune on January 06, 2020, 11:34:57 AMThen you probably need to apply a soft SSS mask to the top and redirect or vdisp the plane. Or a distribution shader with min altitude set.
Probably.
Distribution shader would do the trick I guess.

But it does mean some more flexibility within the sss would definitely be useful.
Howgh!

Dune

Yes, I was thinking lately that some rotating handles and/or sliders in all directions would be good.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on January 07, 2020, 01:48:03 AMYes, I was thinking lately that some rotating handles and/or sliders in all directions would be good.
yup....thought that as well.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist