Definable Max Paths Slider / High Paths

Started by WAS, January 05, 2020, 05:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I would (also) like to propose we get a Max Paths slider, rather than a drop-down of defined settings, or maybe just higher paths.

Take this example, AA 9 and Max paths available. The max paths made the biggest difference, and seems to have taken less computation than ramping up the AA. Now I'm at a point where it seems quality is still severely lacking for AA to be at 9, and I think this is just a lack of being able to use more paths.

I'm not sure how paths are dealt with in TG (are they multiplied or something)? But in some of the documentation I read, they were using 1000+ paths. Obviously that may be excessive but I do feel that more paths would be better of an optimization than ramping up AA to compensate for lower paths, and pathing seems to calc faster than AA.

Clearly this seen is pretty specific on lighting, but i think does allow me to see the differences between AA and Paths.

KyL

Agreed. i wouldn't mind being able to have a slider with a default max value, but that you can override by entering any number.