Shadow aberration in triple star system UranuX

Started by Kadri, January 08, 2020, 02:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Naming images is hard for me. But i couldn't resist the wordplay on "chromatic aberration".
I tried to add many things after i had done the planets.
But i didn't liked what i made and just slapped an old render ground over it.

Oshyan

Super cool! So are the moons all different sizes but positioned such that their shadows are equal-sized? This is the kind of thing I could see a nerdy Slartibartfast-like character doing in a universe where planet manufacturing was a thing. :D

- Oshyan

Kadri

:D

This screen capture is from above the planets Oshyan.

Kadri

I think you missed the other shadows? Or did i misunderstand what you wrote Oshyan?
Each moon does have 3 shadows because of the 3 stars. The stars are closely aligned in this scene.

Oshyan

Ah yes, I misunderstood (missed the other 6 shadows). Still very cool, but not what I thought it was (which would also be cool). A 3 moon planet seems much more stable than a 3 sun solar system though. ;)

- Oshyan

Kadri

There are even real quadruple system planets Oshyan :)
I was nearly going to try something like that and even more if the image would not be too convoluted with shadows.
Might still do later.

WAS

Love the texturing of the red planets. Really cool experiment Kadri.

I'm curious what you had done before removing it all. :P

Kadri

Jordan i tried all the cliches i very much like all the time...spaceships, wrecks, and even spaceship wrecks etc.  ;D

Kadri

It is hard to see in the images above but the shadows are all different color.
That was deliberate too actually for an obvious different reference.
In some of my tests they looked quite distinct.
I was a little surprised that Terragen mimics the real nature in this way too as i expected the shadows as black actually.
Given the nature of Terragen and Matt's approach i should have expected (maybe i have forgotten that this was already so since many years?)
this maybe but still nice to see.

Maybe interesting for some of you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBUdhgcIjXo

Kadri

Just was curious and made this fast test in Terragen.

Dune

Nice experiment, Kadri. That's how I did the refracted colors in my underwater scenes. So for chromatic abberation, maybe you should always use three suns ;)

Kadri

Thanks Ulco and you know i don't like chromatic aberration (in general).
The exaggeration here was kind of a reference too :)

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on January 09, 2020, 01:41:45 AM...That's how I did the refracted colors in my underwater scenes. ...
By the way which one-s especially Ulco?

Dune