A new Galactica model ... again...

Started by DocCharly65, January 10, 2020, 04:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocCharly65

Since I mostly keep my posts in the animation area, there's seldom necessity or possibility to show single renders.
But today I have a complete mass of them with a big and long background story because:

It just started with this: I watched the remake of BSG on TV and saw the back of the Galactica... I checked and compared what I saw with the original old version and found out that I didn't like my renders any more. The thrusters looked wrong... not too bad but wrong and "unfortunately I found the best Galactica (TOS) by jujuvenile for 11$ on CGTrader. and I love it! It has even more of all the little details pipes and boxes and was almost perfectly textured. 

Have a look:

Old on the left side, new on the right side - most important the correct thrusters:

temp0063_OLD.jpg temp0063_NEW.jpg

The problem now: The model is scaled and sized quite different in many details.

All in all I have to re-render approximately more than 20.000 frames of several tens of animations. But I don't want to moan - I wanted that model and believe me - it's worth it.  :)

DocCharly65

Some examples:(As above - Old on the left side, new on the right side)

temp0201_OLD.jpg  temp0201_NEW.jpg

temp0280_OLD.jpg  temp0280_NEW.jpg

temp0650_OLD.jpg  temp0650_NEW.jpg

As you can see the new BSG is almost double size (I anyway corrected dimensions a bit)

DocCharly65

Unfortunately (or fortunately? ;) ) the hangar for all my Viper and Adama scenes looks quite different as well (and I think better and busier)

(again: Old on the left side, new on the right side)

temp0142_old.jpg  temp0142_new.jpg

temp0130_OLD.jpg  temp0130_NEW.jpg

In order to take the new hangar design into account, I added over 100 new objects and of course also had to move the Stargates. An opportunity for new POV:

temp0001.jpg

The biggest challenge (which I was able to master, however) was to keep the the more than 100 animated running lights of the old version ;D ... I was really scared to redo all that...

On the other side when possible I exchanged the original 2DRT Marines with reanimated MIXAMO versions which run and walk a bit better (24 Frames instead of 30 and loops not in place)

DocCharly65

Also I will have to redo some rally really old renders...
As you can see, meanwhile some Klingons came along the way. I corrected some Enterprise details like the color mistakes of the Warp Engine Nacelles and I found out that the LeXX shall be about as big as Manhattan... so it's almost 100 km away from the camera and there's still the tail in the picture :)

temp0001_OLD.jpg  temp0001_NEW.jpg

Amazing changes in the relativ dimensions.
... and many many many other animations/frames to redo. (while of course the Terminator animations are running in he background  ::) ;D  )

What a monster busy 2020  8) ::) ;D

Dune

Quite a difference indeed, but what an enormous task ahead of you. I don't envy you (not for the work anyway). Reminds me a bit of the SF book I started to write when I was 25 or so. After several years I reread and got new information, so a lot had to be rewritten. Years later (book never finished) I reread again, and had to rewrite a lot again...... neverending story.
I hope that will not be the case for you, Nils. But I think it's worth the investment, as this film will undoubtedly be a once-in-a-lifetime experience and somthing that you want to feel good with after it's published and done.

DocCharly65

Thanks to you both :)

Ulco, I almost forgot: With this model I first time had a special success with a former suggestion of you ;)

I had some work before but it came out ok with my own created illumination maps (instead of adding light sources and light spots):

Because of the clean and almost perfect texturing/mapping of the Galactica model I could do project a rendered picture into the texture map.
Zwischenablage-1.jpg

The finished illumination map works quite ok and saved a lot of render time (and made the animations less complicated)
emblem1_NG_ILLU B.jpg

Thanks again for that suggestion (3 or 4 years ago ;) :) )
temp0401.jpg

Dune

Can't remember what I suggested, but I'm glad it worked out! You have a good memory anyway ;)

j meyer

Cool new model. :)
Are the sizes correct? In relation to the 'official' sizes and in relation
to the other ships? Just curious.

DocCharly65

Thx Jochen :)

I tried to keep most sizes "realistic".
In the last time I often compared hints and posts all over the internet and though very variing results I should have quite "ok" values overall.
EG the Galactica should be approx. 3 x the size of the Enterprise TMP
the Klingons Ktinga could be about same size like the Enterprise

The space dock is actually too small but a change of this would cause too many following changes including light conditions etc., I would have to do. It was much smaller in my first tries and I remember the effort :)

This is an early try from 2015 ...  ::) :o

Untitled.jpg
...leaving THIS space dock you would hear the same noise as in Galaxy Quest, when the Protector was first time driven by Lt. Laredo ;)  ;D

In the beginning I used just the size of the ships windows to get adaequat dimensions. Meanwhile I have another good control instance by testing closeups with e.g. walking/acting people if the models e.g. have doors.
Anyway as long the sizes are at least plausible for me I am satisfied.

j meyer

:)
Testing with people seems to be a very good method to get the correct sizes.
Keep it up Nils.