Animate Y in Cloud Fractal

Started by WAS, January 16, 2020, 09:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

There was 4D noise in the warpers too.
Disabled all of them. Still testing.

Kadri

Quote from: Matt on January 18, 2020, 05:01:22 PMClouds are rendered using ray marching. Rendering tiny particles this way is very difficult. The ray marches will miss most samples because they are smaller than the step size of the ray marcher. It could work with very high ray march quality, but it will be very, very inefficient.

So, if it's not working, it's not because of anything you're doing wrong, it's just because this is a very difficult way to render tiny particles.

Matt would be using populated small objects as snow different and better from the renderer aspect?

Kadri

I made a basic scene of my own to see that it works (in theory).
It works but there is popping of small snow and not sure if it is curable especially after Matts post so i won't try more.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on January 18, 2020, 05:01:22 PMClouds are rendered using ray marching. Rendering tiny particles this way is very difficult. The ray marches will miss most samples because they are smaller than the step size of the ray marcher. It could work with very high ray march quality, but it will be very, very inefficient.

So, if it's not working, it's not because of anything you're doing wrong, it's just because this is a very difficult way to render tiny particles.

The problem seems different. The snow simply won't translate down on Y, but can translate back and fourth with warping, and do so smoothly (besides background ones). And it seems to be the same AA issue of stars coming in and out like noise, which probably can be solved by the 1/4 sampling at 0.01 like stars. I was just trying to get the quicket render times so shot for 1/16 at 0.05.

Reason I am doing this is the quality of videos I've found of snow on black BG or with alpha sequence, just look bad (also usually at or below 1080p) so wanted to render out my own video on black, to overlay on stuff.

Matt

Quote from: Kadri on January 18, 2020, 06:21:09 PMMatt would be using populated small objects as snow different and better from the renderer aspect?

Usually, yes. For small particles I think a population is a much faster and cleaner way to render them.

Either way, you might need to adjust the adaptive anti-aliasing so that it doesn't miss tiny objects, like WAS found. At high AA the defaults for the robust adaptive sampler should be good enough for objects about the size of a pixel, but for smaller objects that are very sparsely scattered you'll need to pay attention to the "minimum samples per pixel".
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Me and Kadri seem to be in a small argument over key framing.

He has set a key of 0 at frame 1, and 10 at frame 100. To me and every program I've used (and even opening the transform shader and playing the animation) goes from 0 intensity to 10, over 100 frames.

If you want a static animation, with no transition, setting the first frame is enough, as all other frames than utilize that setting when you Key All. Correct @Matt ?

Matt

Quote from: WAS on January 18, 2020, 07:44:44 PMHe has set a key of 0 at frame 1, and 10 at frame 100. To me and every program I've used (and even opening the transform shader and playing the animation) goes from 0 intensity to 10, over 100 frames.

Right.

QuoteIf you want a static animation, with no transition, setting the first frame is enough, as all other frames than utilize that setting when you Key All. Correct @Matt ?

I don't know what you mean. What's a static animation?

Kadri

Quote from: WAS on January 18, 2020, 07:44:44 PM...

If you want a static animation, with no transition, setting the first frame is enough, as all other frames than utilize that setting when you Key All. Correct @Matt ?

Only true with 4D noise. The other animation places need keyframes in the beginning and in the end(at least 2 keyframes).

Jordan thought that the others parts were like in the 4D noise and needed only one keyframe to be animated @Matt

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on January 18, 2020, 08:59:44 PM
Quote from: WAS on January 18, 2020, 07:44:44 PM...

Only true with 4D noise. The other animation places need keyframes in the beginning and in the end(at least 2 keyframes).

Jordan thought that the others parts were like in the 4D noise and needed only one keyframe to be animated @Matt

Yes, what Kadri stated. I was confused and thought movements were relative to frames and movement. For example frame 1, with -0.5 would push it down -0.5 at frame 1, and with it at -0.5 (blue) at frame 2, another -0.5 for a total of -1.

Matt

You are correct Kadri.

When you set a key on the "translate" parameter of the transform shader, you are setting a key on the position, not the velocity. To create movement you need to set a start position and an end position.