Node editing as text while in Terragen?

Started by Kadri, January 21, 2020, 04:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

I wish we could, for example, edit 10 nodes at the same times.
The different settings could be shown as "*" in the inputs and that we could change one for "0.4" (for example) that will affect all of those selected nodes in one go.

Changing this outside in the TGD file as text is another option but is a little more cumbersome...closing and opening the file etc.

@Matt could you make something like selecting one or more nodes and having a choice like "Edit nodes as text" in a new window while still in Terragen like a light text editor with find and change like features? This could make editing some errors, file paths etc. easier too.

Don't know which one of the above is easier to implement or anything others would want of course.

cyphyr

I edit tgd files in notepad quite a lot.

For slightly more complex editing notpad++ is useful.

I will set out the method one of these days but I went through a process of creating a cluster of over a 1000 nulls in Lightwave, importing into Terragen as an fbx and using notpad++ to change them to light sources for street lights.

I would like to see a spreadsheet version of a Terragen document so you could edit all instances in a column at once.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

KyL

You can copy/paste nodes with the scene open. If you want to change the light radius on 100 lights, you can simply select them, copy and paste in notepad++ for example, do a search and replace of the parameter and paste it back in Terragen.
But this means reloading objects as well as breaking incoming connection so it's pretty limited I agree. What you are suggestion seems like an editable parameters list, it could be quite handy indeed.

Kadri

Quote from: cyphyr on January 21, 2020, 04:50:39 PM...
I went through a process of creating a cluster of over a 1000 nulls in Lightwave, importing into Terragen as an fbx and using notpad++ to change them to light sources for street lights.
Nice and yeah it could be used for things like that too more easily.

Kadri

Quote from: KyL on January 21, 2020, 04:52:40 PMYou can copy/paste nodes with the scene open. If you want to change the light radius on 100 lights, you can simply select them, copy and paste in notepad++ for example, do a search and replace of the parameter and paste it back in Terragen.
But this means reloading objects as well as breaking incoming connection so it's pretty limited I agree. What you are suggestion seems like an editable parameters list, it could be quite handy indeed.
Yes.

WAS

I do like that idea. Doesn't really seem to complicated in theory since the files being saved are just XML. It still would be nice if a lot of shaders were redone. A box for example to allow more advance inputs by side of the shader, and exposing basic inputs to scalars. Like seed, scale, lead-in, minimum scale, and maybe some other fancy settings, fake stones could really use this approach as well with seeds and scales.

That's more of a modern node-network approach outside the 4:3 aspect ratio designed for widescreen displays and scrolling left or right.

Kadri

Quote from: WAS on January 21, 2020, 05:00:32 PMI do like that idea. Doesn't really seem to complicated in theory since the files being saved are just XML. It still would be nice if a lot of shaders were redone. A box for example to allow more advance inputs by side of the shader, and exposing basic inputs to scalars. Like seed, scale, lead-in, minimum scale, and maybe some other fancy settings, fake stones could really use this approach as well with seeds and scales.

That's more of a modern node-network approach outside the 4:3 aspect ratio designed for widescreen displays and scrolling left or right.
I tend to think more on the conservative side first but would like to see much more too of  course :)

Dune

Interesting idea, and probably very useful, though I've never had a need for it (yet).

WAS

Quote from: Dune on January 22, 2020, 03:00:03 AMInteresting idea, and probably very useful, though I've never had a need for it (yet).
I remember that one guy used PHP to spit out a TGC that was a huge crater generator. One unique use ive seen.

sboerner

QuoteI would like to see a spreadsheet version of a Terragen document so you could edit all instances in a column at once.
Mays's spreadsheet window is one of my favorite things about that application. You can replace values in hundreds of nodes at once. It seriously speeds things up.

I also do a lot of editing in TG files but that's no replacement.