Excavating the Deep Cut

Started by sboerner, January 21, 2020, 04:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Great piece of equipment, Steve!

bobbystahr

Quote from: sboerner on February 26, 2020, 11:30:25 AMFirst effort shading an object with Substance Painter. The application outputs PBR materials which were applied following Matt's instructions in this thread. Path traced rendering. This could really change the way I do shading.
Looking like Substance Painter is a program I need...nicely done.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

sboerner

Quote from: undefinedThat creased inner edge with the grime.....oh my!
Maybe I got a little carried away. This was, after all, brand-new in 1824.  :)

Quote from: undefinedGreat piece of equipment, Steve!
Thanks, Ulco. My hope is that practicing with objects will improve my human-shading skills.

Quote from: undefinedLooking like Substance Painter is a program I need...nicely done.
Thanks, Bobby. SB is a very deep and capable application. I can see where it may take some time to master but even beginners like me can use it to make usable textures. Very forgiving, completely non-destructive, fully procedural up to the point of exporting texture files. Lots of good training videos available. Great fun, too.

WAS

Quote from: sboerner on February 28, 2020, 10:03:02 AMMaybe I got a little carried away. This was, after all, brand-new in 1824. 
Then again, would they be staining and varnishing such a device to be beat up? First load of wet muddy rock will stain it.

sboerner

QuoteThen again, would they be staining and varnishing such a device to be beat up? First load of wet muddy rock will stain it.
The only example I've seen, which actually dates from the 1830s, is just raw wood. I don't think they would have bothered to apply a finish, and maybe they weren't able to. This area was wilderness back then. Finished furniture items, for example, wouldn't have been generally available until the canal was available to ship them.

sboerner

I set up this scene to test some new tool surfaces in a real environment. The textures are custom Substance PBR materials. The tools will be used in the deep cut scene and include a crowbar, sledgehammer, shovel, drill, pickax, and a couple of 25-pound kegs of DuPont blasting powder.

@Matt, this is one fine renderer you are building.

WAS

That looks great! Love the detail here. Get some more of that field in the shot with a skyline and you have a great piece of art here alone. A lot for the imagination here.

Dune

Hannes

Love it! Maybe a little suggestion: I remember my grandfather had loads of old stuff and tools in his shed, that looked very similar to yours. However the handles of those looked somehow a bit more greasy due to frequent use and the skin fat of the hands (I don't know the right words for this). So maybe some well distributed darker color and some subtle reflections might look even more natural?

sboerner

Thanks, guys. I feel like I'm finally starting to get the hang of this.

QuoteSo maybe some well distributed darker color and some subtle reflections might look even more natural?
Yes, good idea. The handles would be worn smooth and stained from continuous use. Working on it . . .

luvsmuzik

A little more BST....blood, sweat and tears...great stuff!

DocCharly65

Little masterpiece! 

Would you mind to make the barrels' textures a bit dirtier?

sboerner

QuoteWould you mind to make the barrels' textures a bit dirtier?
Sure, but maybe just a bit. They probably didn't let these kegs sit around very long. They had to keep their powder dry.  :)

In the meantime I've updated the horse model that I made last year. The mesh was tweaked to improve the head and face, and to improve joint deformation. Then it was completely remapped, reshaded, and rerigged. The tail and mane will be added once the pose is finalized. (Hopefully this will give me a good base model, because most of the scenes I'm planning will need a few horses.)

Dune

It looks really good, expecially the head. It would be even better if you could add some muscle definition (either in geometry or bump), or a tendency of ribs. But I guess you may have that planned...

sboerner

Yep, good point. That'll be the next iteration.  :D