Excavating the Deep Cut

Started by sboerner, January 21, 2020, 04:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Horse is looking really good! Though I feel it's material may be a little rough (physically; like the grooves), it doesn't look velvety enough. Maybe more roughness in specular would help that.

sboerner

QuoteHorse is looking really good! Though I feel it's material may be a little rough (physically; like the grooves), it doesn't look velvety  enough. Maybe more roughness in specular would help that.

Duly noted, thanks.

Updated rendering of the still life with tools. @Hannes and @DocCharly65, is this a bit closer to what you were suggesting?

Dune

I think I even prefer the former state of the tools, as they now have an overall shine. I found these refs. But none is the same. But the handling end could have some more dirt, IMO.

Hannes

Better indeed, Steve. Ulco's images shows exactly what I was thinking of.

sboerner

Thanks for digging up those references, Ulco. Should have known better than to work from memory. The ax handle might be the one to go with.

Hannes

Yes. A little darker towards the end and a little greasy.

sboerner

OK, I think this is going to have to do it. Instead of using the small axe as a reference, I went with the larger one. (The dark stain on the small one just seemed too extreme.) Because the lighting and shadows in the still life obscure things a bit, separate renderings of the axe and sledgehammer are also attached.

Thanks @Dune, @Hannes, for the critiques. Sometimes I get lazy. :)

Dune

They are awesome now! Ready to sell too, I guess. I tend to get sloppy sometimes with my tools, so this is a wake-up call for me too.

Hannes

WAS

Wow these are a great improvement, only critique is the sledgehammer may be more uniform due to the hand slide motion.

Edit: Looks even better on my new ultrawide IPS. Wow. So vibrant.

DocCharly65

Great Improvement, I am impressed! :)

masonspappy

sboerner

Child labor was a fact of life in the 19th century. This young fellow will be in charge of the horse that will be powering one of the cranes. Need to add sweat stains to the shirt and some other details. Suspenders will be added after he's posed.

Dune

Great modeling again. The boy really has a 19th century face too. Terrific. Wrinkles by shader?