360° HDRI Pano "Over the clouds"

Started by Stormlord, January 26, 2020, 06:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormlord

Recently I have rendered an aircraft in flight. While adding reflections, I found out that I had no suitable 360° HDRI Panorama in my collection to render good reflections on the aircraft.
You will find much HDRI's in the internet. They have hangars, streets, cities, harbours and such, but I have found no panorama which is suitabel for a nice inflight scene!

If someone is interested a good resource can be found here...
https://hdrihaven.com/hdris/

So I just decided to create my own scene in Terragen and render out my own HDRI Panorama Map for reflection in flight. I named the scene simply "Over the clouds".
Here is my result, the sperical panorama "Over the clouds". It's a virtual inflight scenery with mountains (dark rocky granit to receive hard contrasts) and some clouds for reflections on an aircraft in flight.

Over the Clouds - Icy Mountain 1.jpg
Over the clouds (scene with no clouds)

Over the Clouds - Icy Mountain 2.jpg
Over the clouds

STORMLORD

Dune

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

luvsmuzik

Panorama is just beautiful. distant clouds looking like an archway leading to Heaven! Please post the result of using this as environment image? :)

DocCharly65

Hannes

Stormlord

Thx for your kind responses folks...
Unfortunately my old PC has only 8GB Ram and the Panorama Rendering in 2048x1024 took nearly 30 hours... :-(
But I'm looking forward... in a few month I have enough money to buy a new one... :-)

In the meantime I rendered another viewpoint with only 1 cloud layer instead of 3, that's much faster....
Here we go...

Over the mountans.jpg
Over the clouds / Mountains with lake

STORMLORD

Stormlord

A good thing will have it's time so roughly 24 Hours later another rendering...

Over the Clouds - Icy Mountain with clouds - Wide Angle 2.jpg
The Rendering

SCRENSHOT - Roughly 24 Hours.jpg
Screenshot / Rendertime 23 Hours 52 Minutes

STORMLORD

Tangled-Universe

Very crisp looking renders, definitely looks like a cold place!
I like the highlights on the wind-patchy water of "Over the clouds / Mountains with lake" render, their brightness and spread give a very nice realistic touch.
Personally I'd like to see some rocks/texturing going on at the shores, but perhaps you're planning on those.

I'll shoot you a PM on your render times, perhaps I can help.

SILENCER

I did that same technique several times in previs during the last project I was on. Lots of Jet stuff. Remember to keep your 1:2 ratio.

I'd render the pano over at Pixelplow at 16K and use it as a lightmap/background in Octane.  Looked great. Jets looked completely real.

pokoy

Stormlord

Quote from: SILENCER on January 30, 2020, 09:21:06 AMI did that same technique several times in previs during the last project I was on. Lots of Jet stuff. Remember to keep your 1:2 ratio.

I'd render the pano over at Pixelplow at 16K and use it as a lightmap/background in Octane.  Looked great. Jets looked completely real.
This is a good idea!
Thank you for that hint.

STORMLORD