Dutch Scenery re-render

Started by Tangled-Universe, January 30, 2020, 05:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Just enjoying my new machine ripping through anything you throw at it :)

No postwork, straight from the renderer.

cyphyr

Really great clouds. Do you think the field and grass banks could do with some more subtle variety? :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Upon Infinity

Pretty good.  Nice colours.  Horizon seems a little flat would be my only complaint.

Dune

Holland is mostly flat, but some distant trees or a farmstead might break it a little. The sky does it, gorgeous!

Tangled-Universe

Thank you guys.
Quote from: cyphyr on January 30, 2020, 05:51:11 PMReally great clouds. Do you think the field and grass banks could do with some more subtle variety? :)

Cheers Richard for your feedback.
I'm not 100% sure if I understand what you mean with "more subtle variety".
Do you mean that there's variety already, but that the masks are too contrasty?
Or do you mean you see only a couple of models and would like to see a few more for "variation"?
Or perhaps both?

Whichever it is I do agree as I'm not 100% satisfied with it either.
However, when I look at reference or simply at my memories when growing up in this type of landscape, it's not that far off.
Especially the fields are quite like they really are. Meticulously straight.

Happy to hear your thoughts.

Quote from: Upon Infinity on January 30, 2020, 06:56:37 PMPretty good.  Nice colours.  Horizon seems a little flat would be my only complaint.

Like Ulco said The Netherlands is basically as flat as a pancake. Perhaps that's even too wobbly. As flat as a sheet.

Quote from: Dune on January 31, 2020, 02:28:37 AMHolland is mostly flat, but some distant trees or a farmstead might break it a little. The sky does it, gorgeous!

Yeah that's on my to do list (breaking up the horizon). Actually, my winter version of this render already has that.
Glad you like the sky too. It's an easy cloud, so kudos to Matt's great work on that shader!

cyphyr

Definitely more variety in the grasses on the bank, and maybe some pebbles and small rocks in the fields. I know Holland is ridiculously flat, literally unnaturally so, and maybe that is why it looks weird. The "Uncanny Valley" effect where cgi images get so close to reality it is hard to tell them apart but you KNOW there is something off, you just can't put your finger on it exactly.
Maybe an old abandoned bicycle in the ditch even!

A 12hour render on your new rig. Did you just crank everything up to max and not try to optimise anything!
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Tangled-Universe

Thanks again Richard,

Tiny pebbles I might add, but even those are pretty seldom in our agricultural soil, which is pretty much entirely clay. Rocks definitely not.
I'll browse my library for some more grass models then, one or two models are pretty dominant indeed.
Yes The Netherlands is ridiculously flat, do you think adding only a tiny bit (low amplitude I mean) of large scale displacement would sell the realism better?

I like the idea of an old rusty bicycle, that's actually pretty "natural" in our country :P lol

12 hour render.
I plead guilty, 100%, for cranking up settings.
It's just what I do when I go to sleep and/or work, starting a render and hitting for time to render instead of 'render this fast please'.
Sometimes I wish TG's renderer was progressive for this reason.
I don't like my machine idling when I'm not home.
Settings were:
MPD 0.5, AA16, paths per samples 100 or even 144 (not sure), soft shadows =1 at 2 samples and cloud quality 1 with 1B voxels...yeah why not!?

By no means I'd recommend these settings of course, you're just witnessing my crazyness.

Stormlord

The sky is really georgeous! It brings in a very relaxing mood.
But the foreground is to dark in my opinion. Maybe you can work a little bit more with fill lights?
I use them sometimes to give a more balanced lightning in scenes where some areas are to dark.

Just look into the file which I've already send to you.

STORMLORD

Hannes

Beautiful! I agree about the horizon, although reality might look exactly like that. Maybe some distant bushes here and there at the horizon, like there are next to the trees to the far left, might break it up a bit?

Upon Infinity

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 31, 2020, 03:20:49 AMLike Ulco said The Netherlands is basically as flat as a pancake. Perhaps that's even too wobbly. As flat as a sheet.
I understand flat landscapes.  I probably live in a flatter place than NL, tbh.  But this has a computer-generated flatness look to it.  Not a tree or bush (no matter how small or insignificant) as far as the eye can see.

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 31, 2020, 05:25:40 AMI don't like my machine idling when I'm not home.
If you have some remote desktop software, it will help with this problem.

luvsmuzik

awww c'mon put the odd windmill in there off in the distance.....lol  ;D
Beautiful sky!

mhaze

Dune

Maybe a heap of stony rubbish taken out of the field and dumped in a corner; that's what we often see here in Drenthe; remains from ice age deposits. Or just a few remaining stalks of rotting maize (just saw that a week ago in a field). Or areas of lighter soil, where plowing brought deeper sand up.
But a horizon of some trees (and whatnot) will do a lot.
Some examples of Dutch flatness.

cocateho26

I can almost feel a nice summer breeze and insects chirping in the background! Love the sky color, subtle and natural.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on February 01, 2020, 02:13:55 AMMaybe a heap of stony rubbish taken out of the field and dumped in a corner; that's what we often see here in Drenthe; remains from ice age deposits. Or just a few remaining stalks of rotting maize (just saw that a week ago in a field). Or areas of lighter soil, where plowing brought deeper sand up.
But a horizon of some trees (and whatnot) will do a lot.
Some examples of Dutch flatness.
those pics could be Saskatchewan, the province west of me...you can see so far there it's almost time travel LOL
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist