Testing Substance

Started by sboerner, February 03, 2020, 03:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sboerner

Busy here today! Nice to see.  8)

Learning Substance Designer and running some tests in Terragen. Here is an early effort, the result of a tutorial. Much more to learn, but it looks very promising. 

Water surface added in Terragen. The texture files are tiffs and too heavy to upload here. If anyone's interested I'll try to get the sizes down and share.

WAS

That's a pretty convincing material to use around trees and stuff. Like jungle scenes or something. Great work!

bobbystahr

beauty, I use sendspace to share stuff too big for forums. The free version uploads only last a week but usually enough time for everyone interested,
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

sboerner

Here are the files for basecolor, ao, height, and roughness. (Just multiply basecolor and ao.) These are pngs, slightly smaller than tiffs but still too large to upload here.  I'll keep them on Dropbox for a week or two. Watch out for tile repetitions. (Need to find a way mitigate those.) Enjoy.

Hannes

Thanks a lot! A question: the roots' displacement looks more than just heightmap based. They almost look like geometry. Is ther something special?

Dune

That looks good indeed. That's one of the 'noises' I miss; procedural root structures, for semi distant details like these roots or fallen branches.... All the rest can pretty well be made from existing.

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on February 04, 2020, 12:46:09 AMThanks a lot! A question: the roots' displacement looks more than just heightmap based. They almost look like geometry. Is ther something special?
May be mixing normal and lateral displacement like I do with PBRs for a non-straight edge displacement look.

mhaze

Thankyou these will be great under veg

sboerner

You're welcome!

QuoteA question: the roots' displacement looks more than just heightmap based. They almost look like geometry. Is ther something special?
It's just a normal-based displacement, nothing fancy here. The ambient occlusion layer accentuates the contact shadows around the roots, small stones, etc. In the color shader, ao was used as a mask to distribute a layer of dirt around those, too. So maybe it's just a case of the visual cortex filling in missing information.

Fyi the base color is srgb but ao, height, and roughness are linear. So you'll need to use image maps and set the color and displacement data accordingly.

j meyer

Thanks Steve, interesting subject, keep us posted.

SILENCER

Turn that stuff red and it'd resemble HG Wells red weed form War Of The Worlds

DocCharly65

Quote from: WAS on February 03, 2020, 04:25:49 PMThat's a pretty convincing material to use around trees and stuff. Like jungle scenes or something. Great work!
Echo!

Cool and interesting experiments!