Plane rendering invisible?

Started by WAS, February 16, 2020, 01:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I'm having an issue with a simple plane. It doesn't show in the preview with showing smooth shaded objects, and it doesn't appear in the final render. The Pre-pass doesn't show the sky, like the object is visible.

Is it because I'm below it? And if so, how can I invert it? Negative lengths don't work.

Tried with the default shader too, thinking a opacity issue.

Tested plane below camera, it's still invisible. All I get is a weird effect on horizon (last image)

WAS

I figured it out. I need -1 on Edge Vector A X (not B Z as well, that will reverse it), and I get a plane from above. However I also had to crank down my displacement which was too high (extra 0)

WAS

For my sanity's sake, could someone explain the wiki's explanation of the edge vectors? I think I'm not fully understanding it. Like why it's Edge A and B and in XYZ seemingly.

https://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Plane

Tangled-Universe

Not sure if I understand correctly, since you know a lot of stuff and this can sometimes be hard to explain in text only.

In my words/thoughts:
The vector for edge A/B is probably based on one of the corners of the plane object.
From that corner to the other corner the edge (or vertex) has to go in a certain direction, and that's the vector you need to specify yourself. 
Then XYZ can have values in both signs to tell which direction the vector (thus edge) is pointing.
The edge lengths are the magnitude of the vector I suppose.

The wiki says:
"The plane is not the easiest object to position. The orientation of the plane is controlled by setting the direction of two of its edges, using the Edge vector a and Edge vector b parameters. Essentially you set the way the plane faces by pointing those two edges in appropriate directions."

I hope this adds up a bit.

WAS

That makes sense more or less. I had almost thought it could be used to slant a plane and give it depth or somehing one upon a time, but yesterday definitely through that on its head and checked the wiki and was just confused.

SILENCER

Fabulous as Terrgaen is, there really are some things in there that are an ungodly hassle.
Houdini is the same way.

But the results are spectacular if you can navigate the waters.

Ariel DK

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on February 17, 2020, 10:18:15 AM(...)

The wiki says:
"The plane is not the easiest object to position. The orientation of the plane is controlled by setting the direction of two of its edges, using the Edge vector a and Edge vector b parameters. Essentially you set the way the plane faces by pointing those two edges in appropriate directions."

I always wondered what is the appropriate directions, it mean to the camera? to a shader maybe? just asking...
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

WAS

I switched over to using a cube, which you can more or less turn into a plane, and operate as one with some hacks. For example, here's a quick dirt cave (actually testing speed cause I have another cave of same style, with camera inside, looking out to a ocean, and it's PT has been going for 14 hours and at 8% lol so trying to figure out why so slow just cause of the water (especially with no much visible in cave floor and outside).

The cube allows you to view from outside, as a plane was just more a ceiling trick for inside.

Added stalactite and some outside detail for humor.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Ariel DK on February 17, 2020, 01:52:32 PM
Quote from: Tangled-Universe on February 17, 2020, 10:18:15 AM(...)

The wiki says:

I always wondered what is the appropriate directions, it mean to the camera? to a shader maybe? just asking...

Haha yeah that's a language thing I guess... If I would write this I'd say desired direction, for instance.
Appropriate direction suggests to me that there's also an inappropriate direction like a wrong direction.
This really shows we're non-native speakers, I guess.

Ariel DK

Ariel DK

Wow Jordan, probably the best stuff i saw from you, and.. i don't see blue nodes? or maybe is just the capture?

WAS

Quote from: Ariel DK on February 18, 2020, 08:55:42 AMWow Jordan, probably the best stuff i saw from you, and.. i don't see blue nodes? or maybe is just the capture?
Nope no blue node wizardry.