Star Wars jedi: Fallen Order skydomes using Terragen

Started by eapilot, February 19, 2020, 10:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eapilot

Here are some examples of skydomes that I made using Terragen.  Most of the skies I used were authored in Terragen and so were separate clouds that were later used as game assets as cards. Here is my experience with Terragen

Pros:
Art direct the skies with specific time of day and cloud composition.
Render cloud alphas for post work in photoshop or for in-engine materials.
Author HDR skies with a real dynamic range, which is important for in game lighting for some pipelines

Cons:
Still very difficult to control procedural outcomes of clouds. Limited access to education of software and lack of tools in Terragen make this difficult to overcome.
Very long render times. This usually limits the use of Easy Clouds to make the renders more manageable.  It's not easy to convince management that you need a render farm in a game pipeline

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions over the years on the forum.  The only way I learned was digging through old posts, asking questions, and dissecting tgc and tgd files.  And I purchased clouds from NWDA store, but I wouldn't say those were necessarily better for learning.  Expect me to ask more questions as I use Terragen for my next project.

Below is a link to my portfolio for Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
https://www.artstation.com/ethanayervfx/albums/2019481

Hannes

WAS

I saw (whlie playing), though I notice a lot of v2 was used? Kinda shame if that's the case. I love v3. :P Though they really make the game realistic, and I love this approach more than weird dynamic clouds in-game currently. Assassins Creed and stuff looks great with "real clouds" but at the same time I'm always like "BAD SEED! MORE SAMPLES!" lol

Anyone else prefer sky maps rather than current state of clouds in games?

eapilot

Quote from: WAS on February 19, 2020, 02:34:35 PMI saw (whlie playing), though I notice a lot of v2 was used? Kinda shame if that's the case. I love v3. :P Though they really make the game realistic, and I love this approach more than weird dynamic clouds in-game currently. Assassins Creed and stuff looks great with "real clouds" but at the same time I'm always like "BAD SEED! MORE SAMPLES!" lol

Anyone else prefer sky maps rather than current state of clouds in games?

No, only v3 clouds. For planet travel planets, another artist made those, probably using Terragen as well.  Those were V2.

ackdoh

Nice to see it being used in that beautiful game! I haven't beaten it yet, but taking my time when I can play it. I can agree with your feedback on the experience so far as I go down my path in learning it myself. Though this forum is a wonderful place with a vast amount of past knowledge and very helpful individuals to help us all along the way. Thanks for sharing!
Senior Cinematic Artist
DMP/Lighting/Compositing
http://davidluong.net

WAS

The colour grading looks really good in game. What sizes are they at if you know off head?

eapilot

Quote from: WAS on February 19, 2020, 07:46:21 PMThe colour grading looks really good in game. What sizes are they at if you know off head?
The skydome textures?  I sized them 4096 x 1024, essientially a latlong UV cut in half.  Unfortunately, resolution was cut for consoles.  If I had known that, I would have remapped the sky in a different way to preserve detail.  Some skies were made with multiple layers and UV's with polar coordinates.

WAS

Oh that's kind of a shame. All in all though, they came out really well, and really for essentially being "4k" look pretty much real in-game.