The realm of King Croc

Started by Hannes, February 20, 2020, 04:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Thanks, Steve!
Fortunately I had kept the Max file with the rigged girl's mesh in King Croc's hand, so I could easily pose her again.
Thanks for the suggestion, Doc! You were absolutely right.

Dune

Hannes

Thanks, Ulco! That's what I love in this forum. Constructive critisism leads to better results.

Dune

DocCharly65

Great, Hannes!
You have perfected it! :)

Tangled-Universe

Hannes, you always surprise me with your work. It can be anything from Star Wars to realistic sci-fi (spacestation stuff) to postcard style to fantasy like this :)

I have some strange feedback perhaps...because there's something I really like about the foliage in the right background. The way it's rendered or the light interacts with it, it looks really good to me!

If you don't mind I have feedback on 3 aspects:
1) The "skirt" of King Croc looks too saturated to me if I consider general scene saturation. For instance the right foreground models have quite saturated greens, but the skirt has an almost fluorescent brightness which is a bit distracting to me.
2) The new pose is indeed more dramatic and works well! If I consider the grip of the hand on the body then I can imagine that her upper right half gets some support from the thumb, but her left side is not supported at all. Thus with a grip like this I would expect her to hang backwards to her left, almost draping over his index finger.
3) Lastly and this is perhaps because of rendertimes and such...I think the skin of King Croc would look great when using subsurface scattering in the path tracer.
I say this because I remember you rendered some hairy creature with orange/brown skin and it looked really good. Given your experience with portraits and subsurface scattering after that render I think you can squeeze out more from this scene/model.

Cheers,
Martin

Hannes

Thanks a lot, Martin!
I don't think, your feedback is strange.
1) Good thought! I might try some other coloration.
2) This may be some artistic freedom I took. I tried some other poses, but didn't like what I got. The girl looked unnaturally stretched. And I think, the facial expression shouldn't be too visible, since she looks quite neutral with open eyes, and that that didn't match her passed out state.
But from a physical point of view you're absolutely right. I may do some more tests.
3) I already did use subsurface scattering, but I didn't want to exaggerate it. Maybe it's more visible in an earlier test render I attached below.

Kadri

Subjective but i like the last version with more subsurface scattering more Hannes.

Hannes

Quote from: Kadri on February 21, 2020, 06:18:49 AMSubjective but i like the last version with more subsurface scattering more Hannes.
What do you mean? The subsurface scattering settings are the same in each image.

Kadri

Quote from: Hannes on February 21, 2020, 05:12:38 AM... Maybe it's more visible in an earlier test render I attached below.
I mean "SSS Croc10Edit.jpg". It looks different. Am i wrong?

Kadri

I see that i wrote "last version" before. Should have wrote "last earlier test render" or so.

Hannes

The lighting in "SSS Croc10Edit.jpg" is different, but the SSS settings are the same.

Kadri

Interesting. Would like to see a similar lighted scene.

Hannes

Sorry Kadri, not sure, what you mean. Similar like which lighting?