The realm of King Croc

Started by Hannes, February 20, 2020, 04:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

This is the scene I had some problems with shown in this thread:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,27613.0.html

I spent a lot of time posing, editing and shading the two characters (both from Renderhub). The skin parts of the two of them have a subsurface scattering shader assigned to. Additionally I added some modeled drool strands with a glass shader assigned to.
The whole scene is lit only by a great white selfilluminating plane above, which creates a nice soft overcast type of light. The clouds are a backdrop. Atmosphere is completely disabled.

Plants by Evermotion (a free one heavily edited and with my own triple leaf texture I once shared here), XFrog and Quixel. And there is René's moss as well, which looks great. Never used it before.

Dune

;D  I love it! The lighting is very nice indeed. How light did you set the plane (so, no dome?), and did you change exposure?

mhaze

bobbystahr

wow, that's some croc! Awesome scene, brilliantly implemented...5 stars for sure!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on February 20, 2020, 04:23:22 AMI love it! The lighting is very nice indeed. How light did you set the plane (so, no dome?), and did you change exposure?
Thanks guys!

It is a 10m square plane (positioned 15m high) with a luminosity set to 18. No exposure change.

Kadri

Looks nice.

Was there except render time any specific reason to disable the atmosphere Hannes?
How much faster was it (if you tested it)?
Not sure if you need Terragen actually if you use it that way. You could use Maya, Blender, Lightwave etc. in the same way i think.
That's the reason i ask. Just curious.

DocCharly65

Great again, Hannes! :)
Wonderful composition and overall look!

Would you mind a little dramatic change? (only if you can change the girls pose easily):
Could you portray her as passed out with her head fallen back? She seems not really panic enough for an awake person ... and he's drooling too much for a peaceful get-together (I don't think she wants to kiss him under these circumstances) ;D

Hannes

Thanks again!
Kadri, it was mainly to speed up the render after I realized, it's faster. I can't tell you how much, but it's quite a bit.
This is a scene that uses mainly objects, so it could of course be done in other apps, but a great advantage is, that TG handles vast amounts of objects easily, and I remember that in 3ds Max I once was playing with a very detailed model, and Max responded extremely slow to any changes or even moving it around, whereas in TG I could even create populations with exactly the same model without any problems.

Doc, I know, this girl should look at least scared to death (unless she has a croc fetish...) or be passed out, you're right. It took quite a while to pose her, because unfortunately the croc character was already posed, and at the time I hadn't thought of putting some prey in his hand. So I had to fit her somehow. Maybe I'll try it, but like always, when I've been working on a scene for quite a while, I get a bit tired of it.
But I know, this sounds probably ridiculous to you, since you are most likely the one with the highest persistence here. Except Matt maybe... ;)

Kadri

Quote from: Hannes on February 20, 2020, 06:52:35 AM...
Kadri, it was mainly to speed up the render after I realized, it's faster. I can't tell you how much, but it's quite a bit.
This is a scene that uses mainly objects, so it could of course be done in other apps, but a great advantage is, that TG handles vast amounts of objects easily, and I remember that in 3ds Max I once was playing with a very detailed model, and Max responded extremely slow to any changes or even moving it around, whereas in TG I could even create populations with exactly the same model without any problems.
I see. Yeah in those areas i had not much a problem with Terragen. Thanks Hannes.

DocCharly65

Quote from: Hannes on February 20, 2020, 06:52:35 AMMaybe I'll try it, but like always, when I've been working on a scene for quite a while, I get a bit tired of it.
But I know, this sounds probably ridiculous to you, since you are most likely the one with the highest persistence here. Except Matt maybe... ;)

Oh, I understand you soo good ;D sometimes it's almost physical pain to go on fiddling on one and the same scene again and again  ::) ;D

Persistance? Me? ... I would have given the praise to you or Ulco... :)

Hannes

Quote from: DocCharly65 on February 20, 2020, 09:34:29 AMPersistance? Me? ... I would have given the praise to you or Ulco...
How long have you been working on your movie so far? ;D ;D ;D

j meyer

Cool stuff. ;D

The young woman is just a tough contemporary woman.
Not a girl of the sixties or so and thus the pose is right. ;)

WAS

Hahah wow that's awesome. That's definitely different.

DocCharly65

Quote from: Hannes on February 20, 2020, 09:52:12 AM
Quote from: DocCharly65 on February 20, 2020, 09:34:29 AMPersistance? Me? ... I would have given the praise to you or Ulco...
How long have you been working on your movie so far? ;D ;D ;D

The appropriate answer to this question is: "uups...  ::) ;D "

sboerner

Love the lighting. Skin tones and vegetation have a nice rich glow. Reminds me of the look we used to get with Kodachrome.