Water Shader Land Intersection

Started by WAS, February 20, 2020, 05:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

How do you handle water intersecting land and popping up where it shouldn't? Luck? Lol

I was thinking of using the opacity of a default shader to cut-off the water at a certain altitude where the waterline does look decent, but having issues with a black shadow casted, when the object has no cast shadows.

KyL

I took the habit of using the opacity shader trick and offsetting the water surface by something like -0.5.

This usually solves all my issues. I am experimenting now with baking my displacement to a mesh I cut out in Maya, then bring it back in Terragen. But this is mainly for efficiency/render time savings.

WAS

Quote from: KyL on February 20, 2020, 06:17:43 PMI took the habit of using the opacity shader trick and offsetting the water surface by something like -0.5.

This usually solves all my issues. I am experimenting now with baking my displacement to a mesh I cut out in Maya, then bring it back in Terragen. But this is mainly for efficiency/render time savings.

So you don't have weird black areas where the water was with opacity? How is your setup configured?

KyL

No, the offset usually hides any artifacts.

The mask is the old trick from this thread
But using an imported geo is much more efficient from my latest tests!

Dune

Flatten/smooth the waves where they are over beach by displacement to shader mask from landline.