Building & Texturing a Monster

Started by Ariel DK, March 20, 2020, 07:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ariel DK

This is the culmination of 4 months of work: the Traveller spacecraft.
Well, they're not really 4 months, due i was just working on the model occasionally.
Half was built using all kind of free kitbash:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/kit-bash by Nick Govacko

https://gumroad.com/olegushenok?sort=page_layout&tags=kitbash by Oleg Ushenok

http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/71861 by Chris Kuhn

This last one ISS model, was the most hardest to get right mapped and textured, and i only choosed a few modules!
I modeled the main structure, rotational habitat, and engines in c4d
I don't gonna lie, there is a lot of inspiration here, but before you think in movies, series, i would like to say that the main one, is the Hannes Janetzko's work around here
This is the thread i created to talk and ask about every technical thing about this serie of projects and scenes that i'm preparing to representante the differents worlds of our solar system. the first one: why is so difficult render correctly a object far from the origin? 

Plot thread: https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,27702.0.html
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

Hannes

Quote from: Ariel DK on March 20, 2020, 07:37:00 PMthe main one, is the Hannes Janetzko's work around here
Not sure what you mean, but thank you!!! ;D

This is a fantastic model. I used Chris Kuhn's ISS as well, and yes, there's a lot of texturing and remapping necessary.
Thanks for the other links. I will take a deeper look.

Ariel DK

Quote from: Hannes on March 21, 2020, 04:38:54 AM
Quote from: Hannes on March 21, 2020, 04:35:47 AMNot sure what you mean, but thank you!!!
Ah, I know:

https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,23080.0.html
Yeah, that's my actual problem. Is very difficult move an entire planet when you are using DEMs, image maps, and other stuff like that into the planet...

sboerner

Really nice model. I completely understand why it took so many months, but your dedication paid off here.

Couple of small suggestions . . . maybe apply a roughness map to the white surfaces to break up the smooth reflections a bit, something subtle so it looks constructed and a little used. And maybe use a foil texture for some of the reflective surfaces. Again, to just break things up a little.

But these are very minor points.

Ariel DK

Quote from: sboerner on March 23, 2020, 12:07:52 AMReally nice model. I completely understand why it took so many months, but your dedication paid off here.

Couple of small suggestions . . . maybe apply a roughness map to the white surfaces to break up the smooth reflections a bit, something subtle so it looks constructed and a little used. And maybe use a foil texture for some of the reflective surfaces. Again, to just break things up a little.

But these are very minor points.
Thanks sboerner! I already considered that, and the white surface are already detailed by some PF nodes (just color), they are just a little bit overexposed, which is inevitable due to the natural high contrast produced between the specular objects, and blackness of the space. what i haven't done yet, is give it fractal displacement, cuz it seems to produce weird artifacts in those surfaces, and i still can't decipher why. other objects, like the Modules, already have an aluminium shader with a very smaller displacement.

Stormlord

Does someone know where it is possible to downlosd his ISS Modell presented here?
I would like to get it for my collection.

STORMLORD

Ariel DK

Quote from: Stormlord on March 24, 2020, 09:31:38 AMDoes someone know where it is possible to downlosd his ISS Modell presented here?
I would like to get it for my collection.

STORMLORD
Damn, now i checked the link and looks like Chris take offline his free ISS model.
Seems many people preferred download the free model and texture it themselves, instead to buy the textured one. myself included ;D

WAS

Quote from: Ariel DK on March 24, 2020, 10:32:05 AMSeems many people preferred download the free model and texture it themselves, instead to buy the textured one. myself included

Poor [sales] model to encourage sales anyway.

Ariel DK

Let me illustrate what I meant when I said that objects are not rendered correctly far from the point of origin (blacks artifacts).

It is not a configuration issue, because I tried all the possible wrongs scenarios: GI configuration, odd numbers in renderer, unmapped UVs, n-gons, flipped normals, Cache, and everything you can imagine. increasing the GI cache Detail and Quality seems to get it better, but never enough. the only thing i can think about, is a TG's bug, because when i bring the object to the origin point again, it render correctly again. i would like to ask if anyone can check if this bug is a fact or is only me?

WAS

I think this is a problem in most programs, which is why it's advised to remain with the POO area. You could simulate other things like the planet moving off camera simulating motion while the object that needs to be high definition is kept in the centered POO.