Tectonic Power

Started by sjefen, April 05, 2020, 05:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Quote from: sjefen on April 06, 2020, 04:16:00 AMI hope this makes any sense and is useful.

Yes it is. Thanks for the information.

QuoteI guess I could send the file for you to check out the noise problem, but I'm not sure how? The scene has allot of object's in it. It's gonna be huge.

The cloud noise might be reproducible with just the terrain.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

sjefen

Quote from: WAS on April 06, 2020, 04:18:51 PMAre your clouds affected by altitude? This can create noise if the function multiplier is too high. You should rarely need to go over 1 for the function if setup correctly.

What are your cloud settings and GI, though?

I'm sorry. I don't understand.
It's just a easy cloud layer lowered to an altitude right above the water.

Cloud settings are:
Quality = 1
Receive shadows from surfaces = On
Millions of voxels = 60 (it was at 10 for this render, but just tried at 60 with no difference)

GI settings:
Supersample prepass = On

GI in clouds:
Cloud GI = Still / Medium
Cloud GI max ray = 2 
Voxel scattering quality = 100
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

WAS

Quote from: sjefen on April 07, 2020, 06:42:26 PM
Quote from: WAS on April 06, 2020, 04:18:51 PMAre your clouds affected by altitude? This can create noise if the function multiplier is too high. You should rarely need to go over 1 for the function if setup correctly.

What are your cloud settings and GI, though?

I'm sorry. I don't understand.
It's just a easy cloud layer lowered to an altitude right above the water.

Cloud settings are:
Quality = 1
Receive shadows from surfaces = On
Millions of voxels = 60 (it was at 10 for this render, but just tried at 60 with no difference)

GI settings:
Supersample prepass = On

GI in clouds:
Cloud GI = Still / Medium
Cloud GI max ray = 2
Voxel scattering quality = 100

Hmm, you could try raising voxel scattering quality between 200-500 (shouldn't really need to go too far past 200), but I am suspicious this may be due to the Easy Clouds themselves, and Matt may have a better understanding. Your initial quality of 1 (in cloud settings) should mostly cover the noise, even with voxel scattering quality at 100. But it can always help to raise that with lower quality settings. Usually that's what I do to get a little bit quicker rendering, have the cloud quality at about 0.5, and raise Voxel Scattering Quality.

sjefen

So I was able to get rid of the noise by increasing Voxel Scattering Quality to 1500 (which I know is high, but I tried with lower values as well) and lowering the cloud quality to 0.5  :)

How high does the VSQ go anyway? 

I've also done some small work on the shoreline so a bigger render is coming.

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

DocCharly65

sjefen

I got this while trying to render at 6K  :(

It actually said at the bottom that it was too many errors and wasn't going to show me any more  ;D

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

WAS

Did you by chance play with cloud GI max ray depth? Is it below 1? It may be related but may not. It sounds like it may be a calculation error based on settings supplied. RatRecursionDepth isn't available to us in project XML so I'm not positive what it is. Possibly related to cloud GI max ray depth. This setting should be at 2 for most scenarios, maybe higher than 2 if you have a few cloud layers (from what I heard) overlaying..

Matt

Terje, I've seen screenshots of those errors before, but I don't have a scene which produces them so I have not been able to debug them. I'd really like to test a scene that errs like this. If the objects are too big to send, can you test if the errors happen without the objects?
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

sjefen

Quote from: WAS on April 08, 2020, 02:24:34 PMDid you by chance play with cloud GI max ray depth? Is it below 1? It may be related but may not. It sounds like it may be a calculation error based on settings supplied. RatRecursionDepth isn't available to us in project XML so I'm not positive what it is. Possibly related to cloud GI max ray depth. This setting should be at 2 for most scenarios, maybe higher than 2 if you have a few cloud layers (from what I heard) overlaying..
Yes. I did. Changed it back to default and it rendered just fine.

Quote from: Matt on April 09, 2020, 07:02:46 AMTerje, I've seen screenshots of those errors before, but I don't have a scene which produces them so I have not been able to debug them. I'd really like to test a scene that errs like this. If the objects are too big to send, can you test if the errors happen without the objects?
I'll send you the file to check out.

Attaching an update to the image also. No big changes, but small improvements I hope.

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Stormlord

The stones are much better distributed and the light is also better.
I would try to set some additonal fog banks above the sea here and there.

Overall an excellent image!

STORMLORD

DocCharly65

Oh! I see it the same way... especially the new stone/rocks distribution is a BIG improvement!

...so... BIG Like :)

StephB

Absolutely brilliant! Great job! :o ;)
Photography & Graphic Arts
http://www.stephanebeilliard.com/site/