Tectonic Power

Started by sjefen, April 05, 2020, 05:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjefen

Hi,

A new project I'm working on. I know there's a lot of noise in this render, but I haven't figured out what causes it  :(
I'm also reworking the shoreline cause it's really bad. It looked fine in my crop, but I can see now in the final render that it needs a lot of work.

Other suggestions are very welcome of course  :)

Mountains are created with Gaea. Trees are a mix of xFrog and plants from PlantCatalog. Grass it by Dune.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Hannes

Congratulations to this image, Terje!!!
It might be not very constructive, but there's not too many stuff, that's really improvable. I've seen photographs, that are a lot noisier than your image, and I have no idea, what's wrong about the shoreline.

I love it, and I know, if anybody finds something that should be improved, you'll find a way to make your scene even better, although it's hard for me to imagine....

sjefen

Thank you very much Hannes.

About the shoreline... I just don't like the rocks. They feel off. I think I'm gonna try and distribute them differently and maybe use some other models. Maybe add some tall grass as well.

The noise is more annoying cause I don't know what's causing it. The cloud layer has a high quality setting, but it doesn't work. Maybe it's the samples of the soft shadows. I'll give it a try.

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

mhall

Wow.

I can see what you mean about some of the shoreline rocks (the colors seem wrong to me) ... but overall, this is a gorgeous image. Great choice and distribution of models, really nice color contrasts between the cool shadow light and sunlit portions, wonderful details from front to back, beautiful lighting. Really feels like a crisp morning.

The best TG of it's kind I've seen in some time.

Nice!

Matt

Powerful image! Your post processing is really nice. Could you tell us more about how you do this?

I'd like to figure out what's causing the cloud noise. Any chance I can look at the scene files?
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

This is a really awesome image. You guys have already put to words what I would have said. Yes, too bad about the noise, but the low veils of mist really add to the chill of the morning. The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is the whiteness of the rocks on the small island at front. I guess it's remaining snow, but I had to look twice. It does 'reflect' the snow further away, so something light in that area works well.
But please keep the sky empty and pristine or not very clouded at least.

sjefen

Thanks guys!
Quote from: Matt on April 06, 2020, 01:43:28 AMPowerful image! Your post processing is really nice. Could you tell us more about how you do this?

I'd like to figure out what's causing the cloud noise. Any chance I can look at the scene files?

I can try. I use Lightroom and usually start with adding contrast but at the same time trying to make the shadows brighter. I also bring the highlights and whites down allot. After that I'm usually increasing the vibrance to bring in some more colors (especially for the sky) at the same time I decrease the saturation just a little bit to bring down the overall colors just a little. Sometimes it's the other way around. Then I play with the exposure trying to bring it up or down as much as I can. Somethings darker is better and sometimes brighter is better. 

After all this I'm just adjusting the different colors to my liking. It can be both hue, saturation and brightness of all the different colors. For example bringing out more of the red or green, or changing the colors. It's difficult to explain. I'm just trying to adjust them to something I like. Even bringing them down. It's usually just very small and subtle adjustments, but they can still do allot. 

There's also one thing that helped allot in this scene for working with both the shadows and the bright areas. I upped the soft clip effect to 2.4 😊

I hope this makes any sense and is useful.

I guess I could send the file for you to check out the noise problem, but I'm not sure how? The scene has allot of object's in it. It's gonna be huge.

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

cyphyr

Lovely sense of scale and great composition. Fore-ground, mid-groung back-ground all working together perfectly. GREAT water!
No crits and very inspiring work.

Quote from: sjefen on April 06, 2020, 04:16:00 AMI guess I could send the file for you to check out the noise problem, but I'm not sure how? The scene has allot of object's in it. It's gonna be huge.
I'm pretty sure the models are not what's causing the noise so it might be worth doing a quick test first to eliminate that before sending Matt the file.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

sboerner

Echoing all of the comments here, not much more to add. This is a brilliant image.

QuoteI use Lightroom and usually start with adding contrast but at the same time trying to make the shadows brighter. I also bring the highlights and whites down allot.

This has been my experience, too. Lightroom tends to blow out highlights (especially in the atmosphere) and you have to pull down those values quite a bit. I also usually see a dramatic increase in contrast overall. Maybe because Lightroom is trying to display the raw 32-bit image and the higher values are getting clipped?

sjefen

Quote from: sboerner on April 06, 2020, 10:22:51 AMEchoing all of the comments here, not much more to add. This is a brilliant image.

Quote from: undefinedI use Lightroom and usually start with adding contrast but at the same time trying to make the shadows brighter. I also bring the highlights and whites down allot.

This has been my experience, too. Lightroom tends to blow out highlights (especially in the atmosphere) and you have to pull down those values quite a bit. I also usually see a dramatic increase in contrast overall. Maybe because Lightroom is trying to display the raw 32-bit image and the higher values are getting clipped?
But it does help allot upping the soft clip effect in Terragen  :)

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

mhaze

j meyer

Another well done image of yours. :)

WAS

Are your clouds affected by altitude? This can create noise if the function multiplier is too high. You should rarely need to go over 1 for the function if setup correctly.

What are your cloud settings and GI, though?

bobbystahr

Wow...I went right into that scene, thanks.....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist