Just wanted to share a new image I created just starting to utilize populations.

Started by Shield Wulf, April 11, 2020, 01:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shield Wulf

Hope you like my newest creation with the latest version of Terragen. I think it reminds me of a glacier field with mountains and trees/ Any suggestions on how I could improve this image with better use of the population function would be greatly appreciated/ This was done on my monster liquid cooled machine (Thor)....
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is of utmost importance.

You are he who directs the sun ship of millions of years.......

WAS

That is a great start. The use of spikes for trees is interesting. On that note I somewhere on the forums are examples of using fake stones as trees, which look OK at a distance.

Shield Wulf

To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is of utmost importance.

Kevin F

Mmmm lots of areas with cut offs/straight edges with the render buckets. What are your render settings?

Surprised WAS didn't mention them!

Shield Wulf

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for asking as I am really fairly new to most of the advanced stuff inside of Terragen. Yeah I see those areas with the cutoffs and straight areas. I was wondering what could of caused them to happen. My machine and video card have plenty of memory, 128 G system and a Nvidia GeoForce RTX 2070. But to get back to your question about what are my render settings. 

Hope this answers your question.

Quality Tab
Microploy detail = 0.705
Anti-aliasing = 6
Standard Renderer is checked
Defer boxes are both checked

Filter Tab
Pixel reconstruction filter = Cubic B-Spline (soft)
Anti-aliasing bloom is checked
POST Effects area nothing is checked

Advanced Tab
Maximum Threads = 64
  Render bucket controls = both are set to 256
  Allow auto reduction is checked
Do ray traced shadows is checked
Ray detail region = Detail in crop region
Ray detail region padding = 0
Ray trace objects is checked
Max ray depth in PT = 5

Render subdiv settings
Fully adaptive is checked
Microvertex jittering is checked
Detail jittering is checked
Jitter shading points on on visible micropolygons is checked
Ray detail multiplier = 0.71875
Amount of stabilisation = 3
Nothing else is checked in the subdiv settings

If you need anything else I would very happy to get them for you. Thanks again for helping me improve at Terragen. 

Maximum threads = 64
Bucket controls = Max Bucket size 256 and then 256
Allow auto reduction = box is checked.

Dune

It's best to keep most settings at default, and only change detail and AA settings to start with. I see you have raised Ray detail multiplier to around 0.7, which is not useful at all, but might only slow down render time. RDM is mainly used if you have close-up transparent water and you want very detailed underwater details. In default 0.25 the detail is 25% of the amount of detail above a transparent 'sheet', to decrease the number of calculations needed, and thus keep render time low. So it also works for glass.
With a machine like yours it might not be too bad, but it;s good to keep in mind.
The 'trees', mmm. I would hunt for some (free) real trees; lots to be found on the web, maybe even in the file sharing section, XFrog has some, etc. For realistic placement set slope restrictions, and for high mountains perhaps an upper (altitude) restraint. Also use masks like power fractals, or simple shapes, but it seems you've already done that.

Kevin F

Completely agree with Dune, keep settings at default and adjust AA and micropoly detail to begin with.

Shield Wulf

Thanks Dune and Kevin for your suggestions. I'll certainly take those to note. Oh yeah my machine with all those settings it only took it on last render time 6 minutes and 33 seconds. Not bad.  Thanks again for your suggestions.

Shield Wulf

Latest work from this morning. Man I love Terragen. I also have Vue XStream and World Machine and World Creator. So far TG and WM with GeoGlyph stand out for me as some of the best tools for creating this sort of landscapes. Now if I can add some different texturing and some xFrog trees and bushes in the right spots I'll be set. Thanks so far for the great advise, please don't stop. I love reading your comments.