Aspen test

Started by Dune, April 12, 2020, 02:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Testing some newly made Speedtree aspen, I added some more stuff and this came out. Not perfect, but I thought I'd post anyway. PT render, took 1.5 hours at detail 0.6 and AA6. Stones are fake stones. No compute terrain used :P
I hope this encourages users to get more out of TG. It's a fantastic piece of software!

WAS

They look really realistic to me. Just maybe some more straight trunked ones, as aspens are often a pretty straight trunk tree. More should be growing straight and "perfect" than twisty.

DocCharly65

I agree with WAS because of the straight trunked look. But all the rest is perfect in my eyes :)

Hannes

My first thought was: nicely irregular trunks! But if this species has mostly straight ones, you could create two species and mix them.

Dune

No problem, I can do a few straighter ones. I thought these were pretty straight already, but there are all sorts. Especially the Ruskie trees are really bent :P

DocCharly65

I see you're right. 
I personally had always types like in zon-1988487.jpg in my mind if I think of aspens. The only difference seems to be that they are bend but in a larger area. Anyway aspens are a beautiful kind of tree :)

zaxxon

Nice image, I really like those aspens!  I've spent a lot of time around aspen colonies, some of the oldest living organisms on the planet. Quite often the terrain and snow accumulation pushes and distorts the young 'shoots' and with the snow melt their heliotropism resumes a 'straight' growth, often distorted again by subsequent seasonal snow. So, yeah they'll grow straight up, but Nature likes to mess around with things.  ;)

Speedtree has to be one of the best designed programs I've ever used; from the beautifully functional UI, to the incredible output, and the sheer creative freedom that makes the program just plain fun to use (yes, Fanboy language...)

Always a pleasure to see you create an Alpine scene!

Dune

Thanks Doug. Well, you get what you want, as here's another Alpine scene I did yesterday ;)
And a redo of the aspen one, with some straighter ones added, and a lenticular cloud.

zaxxon

sboerner

Very nice. Path traced I would guess?

mhaze

Dune

Yes, PT. It seems faster with every new build.

DocCharly65

Great, Ulco! I also like the moss-covered rock formations!

masonspappy

Oak and Aspen is wonderful!

sjefen

ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB