Charlene's Red Beans

Started by DocCharly65, April 12, 2020, 02:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocCharly65

In my film project I will expand the idea with the hamster purchases...
So I created some labels of a hypothetical canned food manufacturer with the "Charlene's veggies series" ... It sounded so good in my thoughts: "Charlene's Red Beans"  - almost lyric... ;D
Also I didn't want to use any known label of flour suppliers so I created a simple one too.

This is far a way from final and the ambince is still somewhere deep in my mind but it gave me the chance to play around with the pathtrace - button :) So here my first pathtraced renders with my personal canned food ;D

sboerner

These look great. Love the branding. :) I did a very similar project a few years ago to populate the shelves of a hardware store. There's more to it than meets the eye, since you have to create all the graphics as well. These look very convincing.

Might suggest adding some randomness to the rotation, just a few degrees in either direction, and spacing variation in Z (or whatever the direction is toward the back of the shelf). Just a little jitter so they don't look so uniform. Grocery store stockers aren't that perfect!

Hannes

Quote from: sboerner on April 12, 2020, 11:50:31 PMMight suggest adding some randomness to the rotation, just a few degrees in either direction, and spacing variation in Z (or whatever the direction is toward the back of the shelf). Just a little jitter so they don't look so uniform. Grocery store stockers aren't that perfect!
That was my second thought.

My first thought was: looks fantastic!

"Corona special - higher price, less content..." ;D ;D ;D

Dune

;D ;D  I also like the TG reference (if it is one); Easy skillet...  Makes me want to expand the brand; Easy beans.... Easy bananas...

DocCharly65

Thanks all :)

One of the most time-consuming tasks was giving each of all the cans (approx. 1500 pcs - 500mb model) a different angle... I was already scared that most of the angles I chose could not be big enough to see the rotation... obviously I was right...  ::) :o 

The good thing is that I've got much time to refine that...  if necessary for the final scene. The plan is to create a big underground warehouse with hundreds of these storage racks (toilet paper as well) 
I'll see whereto my brain leads me this time ;)  I guess the cans will be in a dark light so I maybe need not change the model.

sboerner

Quoteapprox. 1500 pcs - 500mb model
Yowza. Maybe it's fine after all. :)

Dune

I have no idea whether it's possible within TG to rotate the UV arbitrarily by mask. I guess it should! Maybe needs a couple of PF's to get different rotations. Is it one can populated? Or a whole rack as one object?

sboerner

. . . and sort of a related question: In the original model is each can an individual mesh? If so randomizing their rotations and positions probably could be scripted in a program like Maya. (Does Blender have scripting?)

DocCharly65

Quote from: Dune on April 14, 2020, 02:13:29 AMI have no idea whether it's possible within TG to rotate the UV arbitrarily by mask. I guess it should! Maybe needs a couple of PF's to get different rotations. Is it one can populated? Or a whole rack as one object?
It is one object, because I want to create something like a big a cave or basement with a population of hundreds of these shelves.

Quote from: sboerner on April 14, 2020, 09:19:01 AM. . . and sort of a related question: In the original model is each can an individual mesh? If so randomizing their rotations and positions probably could be scripted in a program like Maya. (Does Blender have scripting?)
I am sure, that Blender provides scripting, but that's still far out of my skill...  ???

The original model is the toiletpaper-display: https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/various/various-models/showcase-019-toilet-paper
I just once had the idea to delete the toilet paper and exchange it by cans of food.

I was surprised at how quickly the memory requirements increased for adding cans one by one. So my next step will be reducing number of faces of the cans.
Let's see how far I can go with reducing number of faces. that will need many experiments including tests of rendering in TG to check the resulting quality.

As you can see I only filled the visible first two rows and if visible the top layer of the cans. Then I joined the cans with the same texture to one object group to save memory usage.
The marked parts yo can see here are just 214. I will think about a different strategy. I don't think that doing it this way will lead to the result I want.

Zwischenablage-3.jpg

I'm afraid I will have to work with different models: high poly for the area close to the cam and extremely low poly for more distant shelves.

Dune

I can see that is a daunting challenge. Reducing faces with circular shapes will be quickly visible. I wish you luck! And with so many things; small challenges like this cost an immense amount of time.

sboerner

Glad to hear that you are removing all of the cans that don't show. That should help. Those polys do tend to add up, though.

Still, you should be able to reduce the poly count somehow. Is this the entire model? I'm happy to take a look if you don't mind sharing via Dropbox or whatever.

No way we're going to let a few cans of preserved vegetables delay production . . .

DocCharly65

Steve, I thank you very much for your offer. I'll think about but first there are 3 things I want to try:
If the ambiance of the whole scene is as dark as I have planned, I think I can delete all second rows of cans which I only added to be sure to have no gaps in the renders.
And I'll reduce the number of faces of all parts to the half so that should help very much.
The original shelves are for wall mounting if you look closer. I'll change to simple wooden shelves in a simple rectangular "Ikea-like" ;) construction.

After that the model shouldn't be the same 300-500 MB mess as it is now :D
And after I've done these basics I'll absolutely appreciate your support and suggestions. But it can take a week or so.
I am still no modeller, I am guided by instinctual and blurry ideas rather than experience or knowledge... and I have too many project parts in the pipeline at the same time  ::) ;D

...you'll see in the animations area... soon... ;)

sboerner

Quote...you'll see in the animations area... soon... ;)

Something to look forward to!

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

DocCharly65

Quote from: sboerner on April 15, 2020, 10:33:23 AMI'm happy to take a look if you don't mind sharing via Dropbox or whatever.
Sorry I'm late, but I'll send a link via pn soon if you still like. But meanwhile I have changed some things.

New shelves and a big - really big warehouse added.
The floor is procedural based on Hannes' concrete. I had some fun painting the yellow and white stripes... easy principle with sss and some fractal breakup. It only needed time to find the breakup I liked.
A harder job was to get an adequate metal look of the metal parts of the cans. I needed some experiments until I found a version that gave me the look I wanted without flickering in the animation.

I used new shelves I had in the big warehouse set I alöready used in the Aairwolf animation.
The first and top lines of food cans are "normal poly" - second lines are "low poly".
Each can in the front has its own angle and all are slightly offset in the x and z direction.

Frame 150 of a closed view animation:
temp.0150.jpg

Frame 250 of an overview animation:
temp.0250.jpg

Just before someone asks: The dark ambience is intentional  ;)