SDK on the Mac ?

Started by SpacedCowboy, April 12, 2020, 03:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpacedCowboy

Hi all, 

I'm currently looking for a terrain-rendering application, it's down to either Vue or Terragen, and one of the things I want to do with it is rocky terrain and rivers, in a non-perspective look-down view. That was all looking great for Terragen with Danil's erosion plugin, but then I read it doesn't support the Mac.

A bit of correspondence, and a bit more googling led me to the reason: there's no SDK ...

Looking back through the forum posts about SDK's, it seems a Mac SDK been "under consideration" for a very long time - so is it *really* ever going to happen ? Or is it one of those things that will forever be pushed to the back of the queue ? 

I have a shiny new iMac Pro sitting here, cores just begging to used, and although I'm sure (with a bit of effort) I could get Terragen to do what I want, the plugin does seem to do *exactly* what I want, and it's kind of irritating that it isn't supported. Whether that's irritating enough to be pushed to Vue (especially with your current, pretty amazing I must say, discount) is another matter, but in the words of my old sales director - it's another barrier to you getting a purchase. Barriers Bad!

So, what is the real outlook for an SDK on the Mac ? :) If it helps, I'm a s/w engineer at Apple - for the last 15 years or so - I may even be able to help :)

WAS

I don't think you should put much or any hopes in a SDK for Mac, or even Linux to use plugins in production environments like farms. Pretty poor future-sight there, but I think it's more a matter of ability, than just doing it. Preferably, you'd be a Mac guy, to incorporate native mac features like that. I don't think Matt is.

Planetside really needs a development team with a man at the helm. Nothing will get done timely as things are now. Over a decade requests; thousands of requests, to fix/improve the software. Most of them lost to the old alpha forums.  I feel like Matt is in a pinball machine, bouncing all over the place, making no substantial contact with any one area.

Matt

Quote from: SpacedCowboy on April 12, 2020, 03:05:38 PMSo, what is the real outlook for an SDK on the Mac ? :) If it helps, I'm a s/w engineer at Apple - for the last 15 years or so - I may even be able to help :)

Perhaps we can get this working. Let's continue this discussion via email. Thanks!
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.