delete erosion plugin causes crash

Started by Dune, April 13, 2020, 09:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Quote from: Matt on April 14, 2020, 06:30:18 AMQuestion to everyone else: Does anyone else have Terragen crash when deleting nodes? Can we find some commonality among systems where this is happening (e.g. hardware, drivers, Windows version)?

Since you ask, I sometimes crash when deleting the three very first nodes of a fresh, default TG scene (after the pre-render). Not bothering me the slightest though.

crashable.png
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

I have adopted a workflow where I am a bit more patient (which is hard) before deleting stuff, and never do that (or change anything but clouds) with RTP on. And actually I should pause the preview or close the field before doing so. But it shouldn't be necessary of course. Though I also don't have the best graphics card, so that may play a role.

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on April 15, 2020, 10:24:59 AM
Quote from: Matt on April 14, 2020, 06:30:18 AMQuestion to everyone else: Does anyone else have Terragen crash when deleting nodes? Can we find some commonality among systems where this is happening (e.g. hardware, drivers, Windows version)?

Since you ask, I sometimes crash when deleting the three very first nodes of a fresh, default TG scene (after the pre-render). Not bothering me the slightest though.

crashable.png

I'm glad it doesn't bother you. Restarting my whole system where TG is just one element of my workflow isn't good. Or a good experience for users I'm general. Would be nice to find what it is.

What I do notice is before the crash, sometimes TG hangs, and what you see is the shaders renamed "STRING_" before TG disappears. Makes me think it's not preview related. Perhaps it's the parser checking shader names and positions to rebuild the node network if a shader is deleted.

Dune

The string renaming (all shaders) has only occurred to me once last year, when adding a new object. Totally unexpected, but it didn't crash. There must have been some 'same name part' in that object to trigger it.

WAS

Hey @Matt is the -no3dpreview flag suppose to disable all 3D previews in TG? In task manager I still get GPU usage on GPU 0

Matt

The Node Network uses OpenGL, so that will use the GPU. You can also turn that off with -nonetworkview if you want to try it.

These flags don't completely disable those features. They only stop Terragen from opening them automatically at startup (or when loading a project). You can open those views at any time.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

I had to try it now to remind myself, but it doesn't stop all previews from opening. The terrain preview will still be opened at startup, assuming you are using the default scene. To close this you need to switch to a layout that doesn't have anything to preview, such as the Cameras layout.

WAS

Ok, thanks. I guess I'll try to disable dynamic layer, close the preview and try from here. Was still getting crashes, but with what you said here it sounds like it could still be same issue we're trying to avoid.

Matt

Quote from: WAS on April 21, 2020, 02:56:37 PMOk, thanks. I guess I'll try to disable dynamic layer, close the preview and try from here. Was still getting crashes, but with what you said here it sounds like it could still be same issue we're trying to avoid.

Has this helped?

WAS

Yes, actually. From what I can tell, as long as I uncheck dynamic layout, the 3d preview doesn't open, and I am also not crashing. In fact I had the same project open for 3 days working on it extensively (even lazy about it and didn't rename the 60 odd shaders until like day 2).