Fallen Soldier WIP

Started by masonspappy, April 16, 2020, 08:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

masonspappy

New Project, still very much WIP.
Still debating on whether to  make the sky cloudy,dark somber OR make it bright and sunny.
Think I'll shorten the cross arms a bit and make the entire cross flatter.
Need to make a Terragen shader to apply random marks and splotches to the crosses and get rid of the "cookie cutter" look.
Grass, crosses and Fallen soldier memorial made in Blender 2.82.
As always, CC's welcomed and appreciated.

Dune

Cool, if I might say so. I would indeed texture the crosses procedurally (world space) to avoid repetition. I would also lighten up the gun and add some shine to shiny parts (I guess some parts are metal). Some flowers may give it something positive as well.
You could add a menacing sky, but still have some sun over (part of) the cross field, to make it really dramatic. Danger loooming, that kind of thing.

luvsmuzik

being the big tribute fan that I am,......I would do a Dune here and reduce my terrain displacement to very low to focus on your field of glory. Use Terragen to provide your sky and excellent groundwork so far.  Looks like honors this year may have to be all virtual unless something gives. Work from home extended for my kids until at least June 1, due to corona virus.

mhaze

This is a great idea! have you tried a very low viewpoint?

DocCharly65

Great start!
The idea with an unimpressive background sounds good.

masonspappy

Update - smaller image and only moderate resolution but this is probably the direction I'll go with this when rendering the final full size, full resolution image.
Lowered camera angle and added poppies.  Sky was biggest issue - I wanted to go with clouds that suggested a storm either approaching or receding ( it depends on the viewer I guess) .  Clouds here are from a clip file dating back years ago, but seemed more appropriate than anything I personally could come up with.
As always, C&C's encouraged and appreciated.

Dune

I would keep the sky very much softer and pretty dark overall! This takes too much attention.

DocCharly65

Though it's really nice, I'd give Ulcos suggestion a try :)

luvsmuzik

Getting there!

Is that Frank B's cloud? I was seeing a few nice ones recently in the library, not sure how they render now.  Here is a clip for stormy complex. I rendered it in v4 with my 16g unit. Use it or no, it is a good clip to have. :)
stormy_complex_clouds_with_fog.tgc

masonspappy

Quote from: luvsmuzik on April 21, 2020, 03:53:17 PMIs that Frank B's cloud
Could be. The only note I've got about it is the actual title of the TGD "Cumulous Clouds from Seashore 2013". Thanks for the clip you posted!

masonspappy

So, tried to go in the opposite direction with skyscape this time. Coloring the skyscape dark and vague, while  keeping sunshine on the foreground.
As always, C&Cs welcome!

Dune

Yeah! This is very strong and dramatic. Love it.

DocCharly65

Dito!
(but I still like the other one too :) )

Hannes

Yes, that last one is (at least to my taste) the best.