Rendering huge images

Started by CozmiQ, April 21, 2020, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CozmiQ

Hello,

I'm almost giving up trying to render a finished project. The resolution of this panoramic full 360 image is 20.000x10.000.

What happens?

After rendering around 70h and finishing the image the software crashes or the image is finished but not saved. The buttons in the render window don't change to "save". Al tough the rendering is done the buttons upper left corner are still; "Abort + Pause". So rendering finished no way to get the image saved. This problem doesn't happen when rendering lower Res images (I tried 2 and 4k)
I also tried to region render the image so I get 4 pieces and merge them in Photoshop but SAME problem...

Computer has 128GB of RAM so this shout be not an issue here.

Any ideas ?

THX !

Matt

Hi CozmiQ, welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry that happened after a 70 hour render. There is a bug at the moment which seems to occur at around this resolution and above. I am not exactly sure what the cutoff resolution is, but 20k x 10k has been known to hang like this. 16k by 8k should be OK, but I would recommend doing a test with Anti-aliasing set to 1 and Micropoly detail set something low like 0.05. This should complete much more quickly, although the post processing stage may take a few minutes at this resolution and it will say it's not responding at this stage. If the low AA, low detail test is successful then you should be able to render with your final quality settings.

This bug is near the top of my list of things to fix soon.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

CozmiQ

Hello Matt,

Oh I see. Yes I did not only have this 7oh rendering time I tried this 5 times so it´s actually 350h rendering time :(

I tried different solutions like storing the GI, changing AA and MicroPoly Settings, closing photoshop (I was using photoshop while waiting for the rendering), rendering only patches, etc
I can try 16k x 8k but for our project I would need a 35k image. I can send you our webpage in 1-2 weeks so you can see what I´m using for your awesome piece of software :)

Best,

Marc

WAS

35k honestly I wouldn't do this in one go, but do the image in chunks and stitch. There's a lot of info on getting GI right across images and camera setting.

raymoh

It might also be worth considering having this image rendered on a render farm (e.g. PixelPlow). But if it should not cost anything, it is probably the wrong way.
"I consider global warming much less dangerous than global dumbing down"   (Lisa Fitz, German comedian)

Nala1977

why do you need such resolution if you dont mind me asking ? :)

KyL

You should probably render using a 6-pack camera setup.

Rendering with a spherical camera is more convenient but unfortunately a lot less efficient to render (you compute a lot of pixels for very distorted parts).

Here is a camera I use for this kind of situation cubeMap_camera.tgc

This is a simple camera with a 90 degrees FOV, animated to rotate from frame 1001 to 1006.
You can move it to the position you like. What you only need is a renderer (don't forget to put a GI prepass padding to something like 0.1 and turn off motion blur) then render the 6 frames. You can stitch them back in Nuke or Photoshop.

This way you can render a much higher resolution panorama, and you can even split the renders between different machines. I also recommend you use a GI cache to be sure the edges of the images matche perfectly.

Let me know if you need any further help on this, good luck!

CozmiQ

Hello KyL,

Thank you so much for your answer ! I will try it toda ;)

I used the same setup with Maya before it was possible to render spherical images...