Any suggestions how to make Cumulonimbus clouds?

Started by eapilot, April 28, 2020, 09:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

There is not one method you should use of course.
One cloud or more it is up to you and what you want to do.

Here is a very basic example i just uploaded to show how you could use a one cloud-many layer setup:

https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,3691.msg276573.html#msg276573

WAS

Here is a quick example I did with altitude offset. I created a simple shape mound in a separate project with some variations, and then exported it as a 32bit EXR Scalar, than used that to offset a cloud carpet, filling in the bottom of the cloud with a identically masked cloud at much smaller depth. Then I slapped couple other cloud layers in to fill it in.

Would be super cool if there was a simple vector warper applied to a final cloud shape, like the altitude offset, but effects everything added prior, like altitude offset, depth, and final density. Then you could easily use a vector to shape final cloud shapes. I was thinking of using a much more complex vector export, but realized the altitude offset wouldn't even accept it and probably only read Y if not some weird shape.

icarus51

Post removed by Icarus 51

WAS

Yep, that's a fun file. Also really more just a matter of seeds. For example, zoom out and take a look at the larger cloud layer. Low gamma is useful though for both density fractals (tightening borders) and with depth modulators.

This is where settings like in this file in final position with a transform shader to translate it to cloud position, coupled with smaller cloud radius and mixed into more randomized clouds can give you more of the columnimbus where you want them.

But again, this is totally random, and not something you planned, even partially like with depth/altitude modulation.

eapilot

@WAS what does the Altitude offset do in your example?
@icarus51 Thanks for sharing.  That is a nice picture, and I've looked at Luc's Cloud files before.  I even purchased some.  The issue with this file is that it falls apart out of the cropped view.   @WAS I was looking at your file from a different thread about tight borders.  I liked how you applied a detail fractal with an add scalar and a mutliply scalar.  Kind of a overlay operation.  I think that overall approach could work.

eapilot

This is slightly offtopic, but why would you use Cloud V2 versus V3?  If you are willing to take the rendering performance hit for more realistic results, wouldn't you always use V3 clouds?

Matt

I've removed the attachment because Luc sells this on his store and it isn't free.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Quote from: icarus51 on May 05, 2020, 03:16:46 AMIf Matt reads, please Never delete Cloud Layers v2, if they do this they are precious.

I try to maintain backward compatibility, so Cloud Layer V2 will be around for a long time. However, I plan to add options to Cloud Layer V3 to choose between lighting modes so you won't need V2 (except when loading old files).
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on May 05, 2020, 05:36:52 PMHowever, I plan to add options to Cloud Layer V3 to choose between lighting modes so you won't need V2 (except when loading old files).

That would be really handy!

icarus51

Hey guys.
I'm sorry for this mistake. I wrote my apologies to Mr. White for this mistake.
I thought it was a free file if he entered it in the forum. My enthusiasm has betrayed me.
I apologize, even to Matt if I put him in trouble, it was not intentional. I will also delete the post.

Claudio

icarus51

D

Kadri

Quote from: icarus51 on May 06, 2020, 05:26:38 PMHey guys.
I'm sorry for this mistake. I wrote my apologies to Mr. White for this mistake.
I thought it was a free file if he entered it in the forum. My enthusiasm has betrayed me.
I apologize, even to Matt if I put him in trouble, it was not intentional. I will also delete the post.

Claudio

It was a free file he uploaded here at that time. If he decided to sell it later it is his problem and not your mistake at all.

pokoy

Oh, kind of disappointed to see the file go but I certainly understand why. Since this is asked quite a lot... couldn't there be an official preset/tgd or even a tutorial?
Matt, you probably know 10 different ways how to approach this, I'd really love to see more of the dev insights and tricks on regular questions like this one, and one can learn more from the developer than from a file for sure.

I've tried this a few time but always stopped at some point because it's a heck of a long road to get there and you need a lot of patience with rising render times. Also, it seemed super finicky to get the cloud to look solid and still soft but not 'milky', never got such a good result as the one from the file posted (and removed) above.

WAS

I also had that file, for years, and thought it was a free share. His sold version doesn't look exactly set up the same.

eapilot

Quote from: WAS on May 05, 2020, 12:25:57 AMHere is a quick example I did with altitude offset. I created a simple shape mound in a separate project with some variations, and then exported it as a 32bit EXR Scalar, than used that to offset a cloud carpet, filling in the bottom of the cloud with a identically masked cloud at much smaller depth. Then I slapped couple other cloud layers in to fill it in.

Would be super cool if there was a simple vector warper applied to a final cloud shape, like the altitude offset, but effects everything added prior, like altitude offset, depth, and final density. Then you could easily use a vector to shape final cloud shapes. I was thinking of using a much more complex vector export, but realized the altitude offset wouldn't even accept it and probably only read Y if not some weird shape.
Is there a simple way to create a vector displacement texture with objects in Terragen?