Any suggestions how to make Cumulonimbus clouds?

Started by eapilot, April 28, 2020, 09:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Quote from: eapilot on May 07, 2020, 12:43:06 AM
Quote from: WAS on May 05, 2020, 12:25:57 AMHere is a quick example I did with altitude offset. I created a simple shape mound in a separate project with some variations, and then exported it as a 32bit EXR Scalar, than used that to offset a cloud carpet, filling in the bottom of the cloud with a identically masked cloud at much smaller depth. Then I slapped couple other cloud layers in to fill it in.

Would be super cool if there was a simple vector warper applied to a final cloud shape, like the altitude offset, but effects everything added prior, like altitude offset, depth, and final density. Then you could easily use a vector to shape final cloud shapes. I was thinking of using a much more complex vector export, but realized the altitude offset wouldn't even accept it and probably only read Y if not some weird shape.
Is there a simple way to create a vector displacement texture with objects in Terragen?

I don't think I understand. Do you mean export a vector map of an imported object geometry? I don't think so.

If you mean export your terrain (the planet) as a vector, yes you can. There is a tutorial that covers it nicely. I'll try to find and link it. It's late here though.

Luc

Quote from: Kadri on May 06, 2020, 05:54:53 PM
Quote from: icarus51 on May 06, 2020, 05:26:38 PMHey guys.
I'm sorry for this mistake. I wrote my apologies to Mr. White for this mistake.
I thought it was a free file if he entered it in the forum. My enthusiasm has betrayed me.
I apologize, even to Matt if I put him in trouble, it was not intentional. I will also delete the post.

Claudio

It was a free file he uploaded here at that time. If he decided to sell it later it is his problem and not your mistake at all.

Hi

File I posted several years ago somewhere in this forum was not the same.. and as far I remember it was not called storm.tgd but something like luc_clouds.tgd

It was the file attached - this one is free
Terragen scenes & presets store
www.lucbianco.fr
Unreal Authorized Instructor

Kadri

Quote from: luc BIANCO on May 07, 2020, 03:39:14 AM
Quote from: Kadri on May 06, 2020, 05:54:53 PM
Quote from: icarus51 on May 06, 2020, 05:26:38 PMHey guys.
I'm sorry for this mistake. I wrote my apologies to Mr. White for this mistake.
I thought it was a free file if he entered it in the forum. My enthusiasm has betrayed me.
I apologize, even to Matt if I put him in trouble, it was not intentional. I will also delete the post.

Claudio

It was a free file he uploaded here at that time. If he decided to sell it later it is his problem and not your mistake at all.

Hi

File I posted several years ago somewhere in this forum was not the same.. and as far I remember it was not called storm.tgd but something like luc_clouds.tgd

It was the file attached - this one is free

Thanks for clarifying Luc.

WAS

Thanks for the filename, I searched my files and that is it. I deleted the recent download. Nice file though as your shares always are.

pokoy

Many thanks for sharing Luc! Can't wait to see how it's done, hope to find some time to give it a spin.

eapilot

Quote from: WAS on May 07, 2020, 03:56:55 AMThanks for the filename, I searched my files and that is it. I deleted the recent download. Nice file though as your shares always are.
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,23959.15.html

I have never used a vector displacement, And I wanted to know if you could take a few spheres, make a cloud shape, export a vector dipslacement map, then import it back to use with vector displacement in Terragen.  That would give you good control of cloud shapes for a cumulonimbus cloud.

eapilot

Maybe vector displacement is the wrong question.  I'd like to find a way to use primitive shapes to shape a cumulonimbus cloud first, before warping or applying a fractal.  What are some of the easier nodes to use, and shape a cloud?  I know there are prior examples in the forums that I am currently looking at.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

I have seen WAS mention using vector displacement's with clouds as well as distribution shaders.  I would really like to see a quick focused tutorial on each of those.

I was trying to use a distribution shader the other day to affect a cloud density shader, but couldn't figure out how to connect things to make it work.

So if someone has time to do:

1)  Make a quick example of how to make the Vector Displacement map, and how to use it with a v2 or v3 clouds, and

2)  Make a quick example of how to use a distribution shader to control how a couple of different density shaders affect and/or mix at different altitudes

That would be awesome!

-Derek

eapilot

Quote from: D.A. Bentley on May 07, 2020, 03:09:34 PMI have seen WAS mention using vector displacement's with clouds as well as distribution shaders.  I would really like to see a quick focused tutorial on each of those.

I was trying to use a distribution shader the other day to affect a cloud density shader, but couldn't figure out how to connect things to make it work.

So if someone has time to do:

1)  Make a quick example of how to make the Vector Displacement map, and how to use it with a v2 or v3 clouds, and

2)  Make a quick example of how to use a distribution shader to control how a couple of different density shaders affect and/or mix at different altitudes

That would be awesome!

-Derek
@Kadri provided an example of his OneCloud 3 Layer cloud.  He uses surface layers to control altitude which is I'm assuming that a distribution shader is used the same way?  I found the network a little hard to adjust the cloud to different shapes and altitudes but it's due to my lack of experience with altitude parameters.  Now I'm learning about SSS networks and using add scalar to combine different shapes.

WAS

Vector warping a controlled shape is doable. You'd want to isolate all this in a surface layer, or masked by a distribution shader. The important thing here a large depth zone to encompass the cloud, than you want to a surface layer/distribution mask in texture space so it can be further warped. Once you have a rough shape or blob you can use the warp shader and warp by a vector disp or redirect (I prefer redirects for unique PFs per X Y Z easily) to warp the shape into something. Ulco also mentioned this and may have been where I got the idea from in the past.

Using s vector disp for altitude function is totally different and needs the bottom of the cloud filled in. The vector disp I used is useless and it should be a heightmap you export.

I need to get back doing tutorials but I have no time to even sit down for 5-10 minutes to click things in a video let alone keep the same mindtrack through pauses with my kiddos.

eapilot

I looked at Dune's anvil cloud, which he does something similar.  He used a basic SSS network to form the cloud shape and then he piped a PF to a vector displacement and then used that to warp the shape.  The problem is that it doesn't displace the shape enough to feel as organic as the original reference.  I'm trying a simpler different method.  I'll post it in a minute.

WAS

Quote from: eapilot on May 07, 2020, 07:46:24 PMI looked at Dune's anvil cloud, which he does something similar.  He used a basic SSS network to form the cloud shape and then he piped a PF to a vector displacement and then used that to warp the shape.  The problem is that it doesn't displace the shape enough to feel as organic as the original reference.  I'm trying a simpler different method.  I'll post it in a minute.

Using your final density (before or after warping) as a mask of a surface layer with colour set at 1+, you can use a the breakup shader to add a cloud fractal with coverage at like 0.5 or so to breakup your base shapes soft zones with a normal cloud effect. Play with breakup intensity in the surface layer and breakup cloud fractal noise.

eapilot

Its rough, but I'm trying to us a fractal for the big shape and then a distribution shader for the flat lower shape.  I can't think of a better way to mask the top shape using only one v3 cloud. I'll try to use a few SSS with distribution shader next to make a staggered undulating cloud.

eapilot

Quote from: WAS on May 07, 2020, 08:33:11 PMUsing your final density (before or after warping) as a mask of a surface layer with colour set at 1+, you can use a the breakup shader to add a cloud fractal with coverage at like 0.5 or so to breakup your base shapes soft zones with a normal cloud effect. Play with breakup intensity in the surface layer and breakup cloud fractal noise.
I'm not sure I understand but I'll try it and reply with an example

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

This is what I have been working on today.  Feel free to mess around with it, add to it if you want.

I animated the two smaller Simple Shape Shaders over 30 frames to test out some variation.
Basically it's 3 SSS's forming the cloud shape/depth, and I mixed two fractals together for the details of the cloud.

-Derek