NWDA's 2020 Theme Challenge - "Travelers"

Started by DannyG, May 05, 2020, 05:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyG

CONTEST RULES & GUIDELINES:

Contestants are to create a "Travelers" themed piece of their choosing with the highest level of Photo-realism as their goal. (Open to Interpretation – Real Life, Sci/Fantasy,  Anything Goes)
    The contest is open to any 3d software package
    The final render must be rendered within a single application.
    1 entry per contestant
    Image Size – 0.6MB Min – 8MB Max
    Rendering layers and composing in 3rd party application(s) is permitted.
    Approved Post-Work – Sharpening, color/level adjustments, resizing, and other subtle techniques that simulate 'typical' lens effects, ex. chromatic aberration, DOF, and lens flare. NWDA has the right to reject any image that is deemed overly 'enhanced' by Photoshop or other image editors.
    Non-Approved Post-Work – Replacing and or adding any element via Photoshop or any image editor. All elements must be rendered within the artist's chosen application.
    NWDA reserves the right to question any entries construction and may require the artist to submit the Gathered project before approval. NWDA will reject any entries that do not conform to the above guidelines or images that are deemed 'incomplete' by NWDA.
    Contestants must submit judged entry with raw render output image (Composed layers into a single image, Pre-Postwork).
    Submitted entries must be submitted by above date and time and include an Image title, Artist name, email, & judged entry with raw output image (ex. Composed layers into a single image, Pre-Postwork)

Grand Prizes Totaling Over $8,000 USD
1st Place

Houdini Side – FX, Indie License
    Vue Enterprise & Plant Factory, 1 Year Subscription
    E-ON Plant Catalog, 25 Render nodes, 1 Year Subscription
    Terragen 4 Professional or $700 voucher for annual maintenance fees
    QuadSpinner Gaea, Professional (Perpetual License)
    Substance Designer, Painter, Alchemist & Source w/ 30 Mats per month, 1 year Indie License
    Quixel Megascan's 1 Year Personal Subscription – 500 Points
    XFrog Plants Vol 1 & 2, 2900 Plants (tgo, obj, vob, & 3ds)

2nd Place

Houdini Side FX, Indie License
    Vue Professional & Plant Factory, 1 Year Subscription
    Terragen 4 Professional or $500 voucher for annual maintenance fees
    QuadSpinner Gaea Professional (Perpetual License)
    Substance Designer, Painter, Alchemist & Source w/ 30 Mats per month, 1 year Indie License
    Quixel Megascan's 6 Month Personal Subscription – 250 Points
    XFrog Plants Vol 1 & 2, 2900 Plants (tgo, obj, vob, & 3ds)

3rd Place

Houdini Side FX, Indie License
    Vue Creator 'or' E-ON Plant Catalog, 1 Year Subscription
    Terragen 4 Creative or $350 voucher for annual maintenance fees
    QuadSpinner Gaea Professional (Perpetual License)
    Quixel Megascan's 6 Month Personal – 250 Points
    XFrog Plants Winner Choice – Vol 1 'or' 2 (tgo, obj, vob, & 3ds)

Travelers JUDGES

Allan Mckay

Award-winning VFX Supervisor, Owner Catastrophic FX, VFX Artist Industrial Light + Magic, Blur, Prime Focus, Pixomondo (Bloodshot, The Equalizer, Star Trek Into The Darkness, Transformers Dark Side Of The Moon, 2012, Superman Returns) IMDb Profile

Greg Teegarden

Supervisor of VFX Digital Domain (Terminator Dark Fate, Avengers Infinity War, Thor Ragnarok Oblivion, X-Men First Class, TRON Legacy, The Fifth Element, Vanilla Sky)
    IMDb Profile

Alex Jevon

VFX Artist Britannia, The Planets, Teletubbies (Lola Post), Mars (Framestore), The Alienist (Peerless)  IMDb Profile
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

WAS

Can't wait to see what Terragen users pump out! This should be fun. :)

cyphyr

This is going to be great, I'm sure there will be a lot of cool images created by Terragen artists.

My only minor gripe is the stipulation that the final piece should be rendered in a single application (I'm sure there are good reasons). I think we should be encouraged to use applications together. Blending the best bits from different applications just like professional studios do. Learning how to do this well is an essential part of all digital environment art pipelines.

Good luck to everyone!!
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

I can imagine the sponsors wanting to use the final renders to promote their specific renderer, so I can understand the rule.

Anyway, stiff competition ahead, so good luck Terrageneers!

N-drju

"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

cyphyr

Quote from: Dune on May 06, 2020, 01:29:07 AMI can imagine the sponsors wanting to use the final renders to promote their specific renderer, so I can understand the rule.

Anyway, stiff competition ahead, so good luck Terrageneers!
Yes, that makes sense, I'd not considered the sponsors position.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

DannyG

Quote from: Nala1977 on May 06, 2020, 06:00:13 AMhow can i sign up for this?
No need to sign up. Go ahead and begin working. If you would like you can create a WIP progress thread on our forum https://nwdastore.com/boards/ or this forum. Then just submit your entry before the deadline to https://nwdastore.com/contest-submission/ or Direct email Travelers@nwdastore.com
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

René

So it's not strictly a landscape competition this time, is it?

WAS

Quote from: René on May 07, 2020, 04:12:45 AMSo it's not strictly a landscape competition this time, is it?
I think this one is more open to interpretation, yeah.

Dune

Traveling ants, stones, caribou, migrants, starships.... it'll be a plethora of diversity.

René

When I think of travellers I also think of landscapes and nature, but it could also be people in an airplane, or at a hotel with a swimming pool. I expected that the emphasis would be on landscapes or space. Maybe it is, but I can't find it anywhere. :P

Dune

You're right. Maybe Danny will clarify.

N-drju

I hope a concept of things traveling through a landscape is ok...?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

DannyG

It is clarified. Again, it's completely open to the artist's Interpretation. René: "When I think of travellers I also think of landscapes and nature"
You have your interpreted path. Go with it. Best of Luck to all you guys !!
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com