Unreal Engine 5 Revealed

Started by Tangled-Universe, May 13, 2020, 11:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Don't know what to say, just watch...

N-drju

This is just unbelievable... Makes you wish you could design games just by imagining them.

That being said, I'm afraid that any game using this engine will be instantly overrun by developers... Who have a long history of ruining entertainment rather than promoting it.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on May 13, 2020, 12:40:19 PMThis is just unbelievable... Makes you wish you could design games just by imagining them.

That being said, I'm afraid that any game using this engine will be instantly overrun by developers... Who have a long history of ruining entertainment rather than promoting it.
What do you mean? That sounds like Hollywood honestly.

N-drju

Quote from: WAS on May 13, 2020, 02:03:54 PM
Quote from: N-drju on May 13, 2020, 12:40:19 PMThis is just unbelievable... Makes you wish you could design games just by imagining them.

Scratch that. I meant game publishers.

I just find it saddening that game creation is usually a subject of abuse on the part of publishers. We have a lot of impressive, beautiful technology floating around. But the more impressive it is, the more greedy publishers become. Killing the fun of single player mode and forcing people to buy virtual currency for real money, killing the value of exploration and art with a culture of fierce online competition.
::)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

PabloMack

The physics in that video wasn't what I was taught in college.

KlausK

That was my first thought as well :)  we must have been brought up in a "Real World Engine" back then. Such a shame...

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

WAS

I gotta say, if 3D movies don't make a come-back now (like outside kids stuff totally in the uncanny valley), I don't know what I'll take. Render times are seriously diminished and the results are amazing.

Dune

I wish there were an easy to install offline version of this. Amazing.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on May 14, 2020, 01:55:03 AMI wish there were an easy to install offline version of this. Amazing.
Pretty sure you can install it on one machine and copy the editor to a new computer from the launcher and run it directly. So long as dependencies are met for other stuff it needs to run. I don't believe it runs off registry entry.

Dune

That's something to try, but it might need being online somehow. So install on online and copy program file folders to offline machine (and of course make new link to exe)? That simple? Anyone done that?

WAS

I checked online and that's what some people have done so guess for offline machines like at University.

Dune

Yes, I heard that too just now, so that's good news. I'll definitely keep an eye open for the release of v5 (late 2021).

cyphyr

Now that is impressive!
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Tangled-Universe

Yeah it's insane isn't it and it's not even completely finished yet...
You can still tell that it's a heavily optimized renderer, but if you see where it came from...
Now with first generation of GI, just imagine what's possible when GPU's get more specialized raytracing-cores, it's going to be insane. 
Also the freedom to use high quality photogrammetry assets without the need to reduce their meshes and reproject textures is such an enormous leap.

I can see what N-Drju means with publishers still being well capable to screw up what they produce with this technology. Bad game design choices, bad artistic choices... Like Hollywood, not much different I guess.

cyphyr

I guess I'll need a better graphics card. I can't see how a bunch of unoptimised Megascan assets can run on a low or mid-range card without severe bottlenecking.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)