The hidden BSG Viper

Started by DocCharly65, May 15, 2020, 09:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocCharly65

Finally the circle is complete... at least one of the hundreds of circles in my film project :)

After the LOTR Intro I will start the film in it's first episode with a description of peaceful times in the federation. Time to show some places and persons. The threat appears a little later for the first time.

One of the characters I work on since the beginning is my interpretation of Richard B. Riddick. Meanwhile I found a body suitable though too slim for his head. But with this I could create a Riddick, I can animate in MIXAMO.

Before the later episodes I want to show that Riddick has a "borrowed" BSG Viper hidden in an old abandoned industrial hall near his poolhouse as his personally treasure/trophy.

First tests gave me the possibility to test PT here and I created my first godrays ever (from the scratch) ;D

An overview of the industrial hall (left side PT 3h rendertime AA8, right side RT 65min rendertime with AA 8)

temp.0001_PT.jpg  temp.0002_RT.jpg

For the animation I thing the effort of PT is too much...

First posing tests of my new Riddick model (no PT):

temp.0003_Close.jpg  temp.0004_Very_Close.jpg

The new models:
Abandoned Industrial Hall 3D model by 3Dworker on CGTrader
Riddicks body is rp_ryo_rigged_005 from Renderpeople

Dune

:)  I think you can get away with standard render. Pretty cool addition again!

Kadri

Nice. Render times...doesn't matter how fast a cpu you have all the time unfortunately.
Ehhh...it does of course but i think you get the point :D

j meyer

Slim version of Riddick is ok, much better than the somewhat puffy
appearance of the real one, at least in my opinion.
Is that the pug from 'MiB' ?

DocCharly65

Next step will be some additions like toolboxes or stuff like that. And I want a night ambience (for a later scene). For this I'll exchange the original lamps with some others self illuminated I found on CGTrader.

Quote from: j meyer on May 15, 2020, 12:38:34 PMIs that the pug from 'MiB' ?
Cool Idea! ;D ;D but no.

In an article somewhere in internet I saw Vin Diesel having a big big dog... Having that sweet little pug puppy is a nice joke - I think :)

DocCharly65

Last stills before animating :)

I added some stuff and some cars... because in addition to screwing around on the "borrowed" Battlestar Galactica Viper, Riddick is of course also racing with his 1970 Dodge Charger... somehow then he's just fast and furious... or something like that... :)

The nightview (only closeup to the BSG Viper):

temp0001 Nightview 200519 2027.jpg

Most important to me was a minimum of the starburst effect as I usually use it. I prefered the slightly "mini-god rays" of the old basement lamps. One day only for the look of the lamps ;D.

One of the daylight view animations will be a timelapse with some nice shadows and light spots wandering across the floor.
Today and last night I experimented with some settings for the cloud GI until I got rid with the flickering. Animation is running. Looks good so far.

Here the first and last frames as test renders:

Frame001_200520.jpg  Frame175_200520.jpg

And... Sorry Jochen, after watching again and again -- that slim Vin Diesel is just too slim... it's not him any more. I was a little bit shopping on CGTrader again and found a "new Riddick". The Body is ok - not too overly muscular but not so sickly looking gaunt student as my last version.

But nevertheless I had some work with the new model, because the head/face doesn't even look similar to Vin Diesel. Think I can start to work with mixamo now :)

My new Riddick Version:

Riddick_ModHead_byNG.jpg

The Original:
Riddick_OriginalModel.jpg

A short overview over these and the other new added models:

Riddick Low-poly 3D model by norbert-2105 on CGTrader
Tool Box Low-poly 3D model by TH-Studio on CGTrader
Toolbox Low-poly 3D model by Pixel-cloud on CGTrader
ToolsPack Free 3D model by jfrancisco-dagnino
Dodge Charger 1970 Fast and Furious Low-poly 3D model by -Gigis3D
2018 NASCAR Camaro by 3DAutosports
Dumpster by Dekogon on CGTrader
Crankshaft Free 3D model by andreas-gkertsos
Turbine Free 3D model by DDGames

and some stuff I have collected the last years on achive3D

luvsmuzik

Great renders and some really nice objects! A "dream" workshop I would say! You have perfected those metallic finishes and I love the cracked concrete flooring. :) Vin looks great too!

j meyer

Null problemo Nils.
Still slim enough. ;)

Dune

It all looks terrific. Maybe a little more dirt, grime and grease on the trollies? Like he has really worked there ;)

DocCharly65

Thanks to all :)

Nice idea, Ulco, if I decide to do some closeups with the trollies I'll modify them a bit and I think I have some old newspapers somewhere I could add, too :)
I leave the wide-angle shots unchanged, especially since the tool cabinets are mostly in the dark.

At the moment I'm a bit exhausted and waiting for many other animations to finish rendering (the lens flare drive, some shots of the spacedock in the peaceful times and some scenes with the 2010 Discovery and it's fight against Mr. Smith ;) ) But as you know me, one night I'll have ideas, stand up and play around with the scene :)

Meanwhile I did the first test adjusting the dimensions of the protagonists. I still don't know how the animation will come out but the still shot is promising so far. So enjoy a little test shot with Riddick formerly known as Vin Diesel ;) petting his puppy "Roman" (The real name of his real dog in .. I think it was around 2004):

petting the dog.jpg

Dune

Great! Will he bite?

DocCharly65

I don't know Vin Diesel personally - but I don't think, he'd bite... or did you mean the puppy ?  ;D

Dune