lacking subdivision and details on "cube" primitive

Started by Nala1977, May 18, 2020, 05:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nala1977

hey guys im tryin to build a library of some "pillars" shapes that have some stratification and erosion, after many attempts i always get to a point where the shape im using doesnt have enough "geometry" to work with and its gonna create unexpected results, like the image im attaching, i can not get the "strata" effect to pop out.

What would be a smart way to work on these pillars? do the primitive object cube have a limited resolution? or im doing something wrong?
this is the .tgd

Nala1977

it looks like the UV if there are any, are a bit weird, the strata effect should go on a Y axis but instead is twisted

Nala1977

on this image i pumped up the hard layer depth, and the strata effect it looks like its happening on a "normal/cylindrical projection" so to speak around the mesh, how do i make it so its going trough the Y axis?

N-drju

Try putting "transform input" shader as the final node and check the "use world space" box. Maybe this will set things right?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Nala1977

Quote from: N-drju on May 18, 2020, 09:14:20 AMTry putting "transform input" shader as the final node and check the "use world space" box. Maybe this will set things right?
that didnt do anything at all :)

N-drju

Hmm, ok... But why do you wish to create pillars with the cube object instead of a terrain node? Seems easier to me.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Nala1977

Quote from: N-drju on May 18, 2020, 11:02:09 AMHmm, ok... But why do you wish to create pillars with the cube object instead of a terrain node? Seems easier to me.
because i have no idea how to limit a whole terrain node to a specific area to create a pillar.

some things i find quite difficult in Terragen is handling specific shapes, obviously i suppose the whole software was made for huge environment and terrains, but when you want to work on a specific aspects, or a specific look maybe from a reference, it gets very hard for me, maybe becase im still too new, anyway i tried mixing some simple shapes as masks to alter a straight line which was black and white, but couldnt get it right.

I feel sometimes that such things shouldnt be so daunting, for example i wanted to start doing a left side cliff that was ending on a beach with sea on the right part, so i tried multiple times to create a mask that would limit the terrain to grow in a certain area (black) based on a shape i wanted..

I spent 4 hours without being able to do it, and couldnt get help from docs either. Went in Gaea and did it in 20 seconds with just a Draw node.
Im not saying GAea is better than Terragen, just i wish there would be more kickstarter and get going tools to work with, after all i dont think its hard to do these kind of things for experienced users or even developers.

also to answer more directly to you, i have a very strong 3d background, so i have to approach at creating a 3d rock pillar, the first thing i would do is create a cube.

N-drju

Just use a simple shape shader to mask your terrain or, in fact, any other masking. You can even use a pre-made greyscale image if you want. In the latter case, bright area will, of course, be interpreted as the highest elevation level. It's easy. :)

Nala1977

obviously im doing something wrong but i can not figure out what, and its not that easy :)
its almost like strata has 0 effect at all.

Dune

You need a compute terain node before the strata to be able to calculate the sides.
For loose pillars you can also use a second sphere, with only the pillars protruding through base planet.

Nala1977

thanks Dune but the compute terrain before the strata node did absolutely nothing here is the screen
sometimes i feel these stuff are overly complicated for no reason.

KlausK

hi, I can`t solve this for you exactely but maybe this helps a little bit to go on.
This is your file I "messed with" just to show at least that it is all about the settings in the nodes
and not about subdivision per se. Study the file and see if you can get something out of this.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Nala1977

Quote from: KlausK on May 18, 2020, 02:03:41 PMhi, I can`t solve this for you exactely but maybe this helps a little bit to go on.
This is your file I "messed with" just to show at least that it is all about the settings in the nodes
and not about subdivision per se. Study the file and see if you can get something out of this.

CHeers, Klaus
thanks mate, i also felt that this method was way better than using a terrain.