A bee's view of the family Stripe

Started by Dune, May 24, 2020, 01:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Another guy.

sboerner

Such great detail. You've really begun to master this.

Edit: Ulco, how large are your image maps? I keep mine to 1K or smaller to speed up load time. I'm not sure how it might affect rendering. Most of the small details get averaged out, which is OK if the figures aren't in the foreground. Just curious.

Dune

Thanks.

The DAZ body maps are usually 2048, but occasionally around 1K (LZW compressed tiffs, which I prefer, or the original jpg's). For close-ups the bigger maps are way better, also for bump (greyscale). My own maps (cloth textures and such) are between 1 and 2k, sometimes bigger. I don't think it'll change rendertime, only loading takes time, but that's only once.

sboerner

OK, thanks for sharing that. I've been using png files lately for all textures. Used to use uncompressed tiff but may experiment with compressed tiff.

The nice thing about Substance Painter is that everything is procedural up till export. So you can paint at 4k and export anything, so it's easy to adjust the final level of detail.

Dune

I don't think with current machines the size of textures matters very much, unless of course you have to import hundreds of them.

Substance painter sounds good in that respect.

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

luvsmuzik

Very nice!

Ulco probably does not have to do this using DAZ or Zbrush, but Steve are either of you retopologizing your clothing mesh? I am experimenting again ....lol

Dune

I listened to Steve, and keep the topology as is from MD. Retopogy in ZB is a bit awkward, and even smoothing the mesh in ZB messes (logically) with the poly-assigned texture; makes it wobbly.
I stopped using the squaring of the mesh in MD as well, no need. So, now I use default point distance 20, and when finished, set it to 10, or 8, have it update a little, and save.
I do use Poseray to recalculate smooth normals, while I'm at combining figure, (ZB) hair and garments anyway. I can also more easily check if my textures come out nicely, and resize if needed.
You used to be a seamstress, weren't you, luvs? So you're probably good at making patterns. Do show what you're experimenting with! Making patterns is the hard part now, for me.

sboerner

QuoteI am experimenting again....lol
Excellent! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

The consensus seems to be that if you are doing animation or further work in ZBrush then the garment should be retopologized to give you a good, clean quad mesh with regular edge loops. Which means a certain amount of manual work. (MD's quad conversion doesn't cut it.) There are some good YouTube tutorials on how to do this. The latest version of MD has a new remesh/retopology tool, which might speed things up but I haven't tried it yet. 

For now I'm leaving everything as MD exports it, as triangles (as Ulco says, with a particle distance of 8-10), which works fine for still renderings.

luvsmuzik

That is what I was wondering about after seeing a few examples.That manual topology method looks very difficult, and that would be like designing the garment from scratch after the fact, imho. I can do this in Blender or similar 3D program and use a shrink wrap, but all clothing turns out skin tight if fitted to shape and the vertex offset is difficult to figure for me anyway. This seems to be where I get hung up on avatars or models is the animation part with the armature parenting etc....I get a good garment in an a-pose or a t-pose, then even when done by Mixamo or independent, the garments and avatars do not always do as expected. I will keep fiddling as that is the fun part, many tutorials to check other methods so no loss.  :)

The MD experts seem to agree that CAD pattern method is the way to do MD rather than standard dressmaker patterns of old, but I get the methodology anyway since I have a little 3D knowledge and blueprint experience also. For example, IRL sleeves usually are not a symmetrical pattern piece, with a larger curve to the backside and easing of the curve with small gathering stitches to allow for natural stress on the fabric by arm movement. Lucky for me I do know fabric weights and wefts and grain so there I may have an advantage, but I am still looking for burlap bag or flour sack for a few things, haha.

Keep up the great work!

N-drju

Nice job Ulco, as always. I really envy your skill with human modelling. ;)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Did you try DAZ, luvs? And Andrzej (did I spell that right?) too. It's free, so there's no obstacle. I know it's put down as kind of low quality stuff, but with a bit of extra work you can get pretty decent characters out of it. My main reason for using it is the internal rigging and ease of setting poses.
If you make a figure, have it animated in a few frames from a base T-pose (with slightly hanging arms) to your final pose. Export both. Import T-pose (in meters) to add garment in MD, have it draped, etc, then import the posed figure as morph (which than has the same poly values, and such), and MD does its magic. Pull a little at the garments to get it perfect, change particle distance from 20 to 10 or so, select all, export all selected as (multiple) obj, import in Poseray (you can import a few obj's at once, to be merged automatically), do materials to groups, set all invisible, make groups that use same texture visible, merge and set its name. Some groups may require welding and recalculating of normals, so do that. After all groups done, do groups to materials, then export. Then in TG make all shaders. That's my workflow in short.

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on June 09, 2020, 04:14:41 AMAnd Andrzej (did I spell that right?) too.
Spelling is correct. ;)

I am familiar with DAZ Studio and know how to use it for posing etc. I have no assets though... apart from the basic, free stuff that comes with installation.

I guess that, was I was meant to ask, was; where do you get raw, human models from? DAZ store? Other shop / software?

DS store is prohibitively expensive. ??? And obviously you can't make 20 different humans from the pool of four free, basic figures... or can you...?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"